Author Topic: Cecil Duffy - Army/RIC  (Read 6411 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Curragh Camp. Regiments
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 September 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
Perhaps he was at lower level, for intelligence purposes,

Yes, that is the nub of it.

There was a man called Basil Thompson who ran a network of spies in Ireland, and they were all put in at a low level, to cover what they were doing.

You have a possibility that he was one of these. Look up for example Bryan Fergus Molloy who was probably Lt Howells, but I cannot prove it. And there are a number of others.

When you do get his record I would be very grateful if you would let me know what is in it. It is extraordinarily difficult to be exactly sure what Thompson was up to, as he either destroyed most of the documents, or they are still classified.

The other approach, which you have not mentioned is what you can find in the family - does anyone have anything that he might have written about his time in Ireland
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline markdrogers99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cecil Duffy - Army/RIC
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 September 11 18:29 BST (UK) »

31st July 1919. To unemployed list 2nd Lt. C. Duffy.

2nd Lt. C. Duffy, M.C., retires,
receiving a gratuity. 22nd Aug. 1919.

Just entering the above information to ancestry.co.uk when I noticed that in September 1919 he noted on his daughters birth certificate he was a Captain, 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Very interesting when he retired as mentioned above in August 1919 as a 2nd Lt.  Either he was a man with an ego and talked himself up or alternatively he was not really retired from the military and was promoted and commissioned into another role... possibly intelligence?
WHITFIELD / DUFFY / PENGELLY / MOSES / OSIAL

Offline PeterMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 October 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
I just dropped in on this conversation whilst on a general browse, perhaps I can elucidate? Duffy joined the RIC in April of 1920 and that is well before the formation of the Auxiliary Division. He almost certainly joined as an RIC constable, although as no rank or place of service is available, it could be that he was appointed as a 'Defence of Barracks Sergeant'. I presume the former.
A surprising number of ex-officers, both Irish and English, joined the 'ordinary' RIC and rarely rose above Sergeant rank. Perhaps the lack of responsibility appealed to them.
Research into the old Royal Irish Constabulary

Offline markdrogers99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 October 11 13:55 BST (UK) »
Update

I am still awaiting Duffy's UK military file from MOD - confirmed as sent by mail on 14 Oct 11....  any day now will have it! 

In the mean time I was told by the MOD historical records officer that there was a newspaper article attached to the inside of his file, article dated June 1922, which indicates Duffy was ran out of Ireland (at gun point) by the IRA and was put on a boat to Hollyhead, where he was found penniless and with no belongings.

The article was from the Westminster Gazette though have unfortunately not been able to locate any online copies of this gazette.  I will give a further update once I have the copy of his military file in my hands... am thinking it should be a good read.

Offline markdrogers99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I finally received Duffy's UK military service file from the MOD.  Interestingly enough there was no mention of his time with the RIC (how surprising!), however the following newspaper clipping was attached to his file;

GUNMEN'S VICTIM
LATE OFFICER DRIVEN
FROM IRELAND

Cecil Duffy told a remarkable story to the Oswestry magistrates to-day, when he was charged with obtaining food and lodgings by false pretenses.
He said he had no intention to defraud and would pay his bill.
He was driven out of Ireland, he said, by armed gunmen, four of whom placed revolvers at his head in Dublin, hired a car, and put him on a boat for Holyhead, where he landed with one pound 15s in his pocket. He went to Colwyn Bay, and walked from there to Oswestry in search of work and friends. He added that he received a commission in the field, and was decorated during the late war.
An Oswestry farmer said that he met 'Duffy' in town. They served together for ten years in Kings Royal Irish Hussars. He invited him to lunch. On leaving Duffy did not say he was in poor circumstances. Superintendent Taylor said the accused had served in the R.I.C.
The Bench expressed sympathy with Duffy, and bound him over, and ordered him to pay his bill and the Court costs.

Westminster Gazette, 2 June 1922