Author Topic: William Roberts IGI 1838  (Read 931 times)

Offline teddymark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Roberts IGI 1838
« on: Friday 30 September 11 17:25 BST (UK) »
According to all printed material, incluing the JGLS, Dr. Sampsons pedigree, The Welsh Gypsies, children of Abram Wood, With Harp Fiddle and Folktale,  and the IGI list Williams parents as John Robert Lewis and Mary Ann Roberts as parents.
However William was married twice.
On his first marriage he list himself as harpist with father Joseph Roberts musician. William was 16 his wife 33!
 On his second marriage he lists himself as harpist, his father as John Roberts musician.
I know this first marriage is correct for William (my gr gr grandparents)
All census record William as born in Llanelli, about 1837 or 38
On the 1851 William is with John Roberts ( the famous Harpist) listed as son but I believe this should be nephew.
I have found another William born about 1838 with father Joseph collier in Llanelli
Can anyone help me understand as to why he would list his father as Joseph on his first marriage cert?
thank you for any thoughts and advice!
Wood, Wales
Roberts, Glamorgan, Carmathan, Denbighshire Wales
Welsh Romany
Brabon, Glamorgan Wales and England
Jones, Glamorgan Wales and England
Jee Bedworth England
Gazey Bedworth England

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Roberts IGI 1838
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 October 11 13:09 BST (UK) »
hi, ted, it may not be the case in your search, but most romany folk could not read or write. and had to rely on the register of certs etc, to get things right. this was not allways the way of it, as some of them were barly literate. also travellers do/did use different names, another mystery for those trying to trace romany family members, as many had two or three christian, or surnames that they used, as and when it suited. i know this is not much of a help, but it may explain why there is a name change.  rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline teddymark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Roberts IGI 1838
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 11 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,
I had actually not thought of that, not being literate!
I am/was guessing that as he was "underage" as stated on his first marriage cert his father would have been with him> Maybe his dad didn't want him to marry a woman twice his age so found a Jospeh to stand up for him :>)
I have come accross the name changes and drives me crazy at times!
again thanks Teddy
Wood, Wales
Roberts, Glamorgan, Carmathan, Denbighshire Wales
Welsh Romany
Brabon, Glamorgan Wales and England
Jones, Glamorgan Wales and England
Jee Bedworth England
Gazey Bedworth England