Author Topic: ponty berem  (Read 4870 times)

Offline haydon

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
ponty berem
« on: Friday 30 September 11 18:17 BST (UK) »
does any one know where  ponty berem cemetery is and is there any way to find where a person is buried .thanks haydon
gillgrass or gilgrass  berkshire aberdare and rhondda vallies  tilley  bristol  easley rhondda  savery  bristol

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ponty berem
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 September 11 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Haydon have you tried Googling Pontyberem cemetries? Seems to give quite a few hits.

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suehorne58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 September 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Haydon,
Pontyberem is in Carmarthenshire in the Gwendraeth Valley halfway between Carmarthen and Llanelli, the only refernce I could find for a church there was for one called St Johns, but I don't know wether or not it had a burial ground.  You could try contacting either Carmarthen or Llanelli public Libraries (Local History Dept) or Carmarthenshire County Council, any of these should hopefully be able to point you in the right direction.
Sue

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 11 00:14 BST (UK) »
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Llanelli/index.html

Hi Haydon,
       This link from GENUKI will give you a lot of information.
                  Pinot  :)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 11 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Haydon  :)

I believe that Soar CM Chapel has a cemetery. It is in Heol Mynachlog, Pontyberem.

Pontyberem is part of Llanddarog Parish:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Llanddarog/index.html

Monumental inscriptions for Caersalem Chapel (Old Cemetery) are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Kind Regards
Morgan

p.s. moved to Carmarthenshire

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
Churchyards I am aware of are

Capel Ifan also known as St.John's  http://local.upmystreet.com/picture-of-st-johns-church-pontyberem-id-684369.html . The entrance to this church is difficult to spot. It is around 2/3rs of the way up Heol Capel Ifan on the lef hand side and only has space for a couple of cars

Caersalem Chapel http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wa-21293-caersalem-independent-chapel-pontyberem/bingmap much easier to find and has a relatively large car park

Virtually opposite Caersalem is Soar Chapel

There are bound to be others.

Finding where someone is buried is the difficult bit. Family members might be able to help. Sometimes place of burial is stated on the death certifcate (but not often)

The other option is to search monumental inscriptions. These are usually indexed by Family History Societies (although they don't contain a complete list from all churches) e.g. Carmarthenshire-FHS has a Monumental Inscription Index (i.e. a index of names listed on gravestones), plus a Master Burials Index for Carmarthenshire. You can join here http://www.uk-genealogy-online.com/registrationfreeweek.html (there was as 7 day free trial but unfortunately it has just finished).

If you have a name and year of death I can see if there are any obvious matches for you.

Offline haydon

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 13:56 BST (UK) »
his name was Reverend James Williams buried 21 Sept  1957. died 19 Sept in swansea it was a private funeral  he was a vicar of brackenfield derbyshire. his wife's name was Nance
gillgrass or gilgrass  berkshire aberdare and rhondda vallies  tilley  bristol  easley rhondda  savery  bristol

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 October 11 17:00 BST (UK) »
his name was Reverend James Williams buried 21 Sept  1957. died 19 Sept in swansea it was a private funeral  he was a vicar of brackenfield derbyshire. his wife's name was Nance

Hi. Unfortunately no matches, indexes on memorial inscriptions tend to be from earlier years. I was wondering why you suspected Pontyberem as his burial place as Swansea or even possible Derbyshire seem more likely? Was he originally from Pontyberem? If he was, do you have any details of his Baptism as this might indicate which Pontyberem he was affiliated to. Plus what denomination was he as this might narrow the possibilities down?

If you have a date/year of birth/baptism I can see if there are matches for this in Carm-FHS indexes.

Offline haydon

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 June 12 16:33 BST (UK) »
sorry for late reply have news paper announcement which says ponty berem.haydon