Author Topic: Lookup Toronto...Borret BHC  (Read 10610 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Francis George Borrett
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 October 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the children went to Canada with their Father or if they went to live with family there? I haven't been able to find George's death.

Have you ruled out the George Barrett whose death was registered in Thanet in the second quarter of 1865 (vol 2a, page 424) as being your George. It's possible that his name was mistranscribed in the index.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 October 11 22:45 BST (UK) »

Hey Jacquie

From all accounts son Francis George was born December 7th 1868.... so maybe not.... :o ;D

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bgood

• my email are not working.... over quota!
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 October 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
I don't think that Francis was born in 1868, I believe it was 1867. His Mother died in 1867 and is burried in England.
Goodwin
Chibnall
Borrett
Spurin
Pederson
Womack
Ross
Potts
Pierson
Muller/Miller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 October 11 00:08 BST (UK) »
From all accounts son Francis George was born December 7th 1868.... so maybe not.... :o ;D

I have seen too many instances of births being registered under a husband's name long after he's died so I wouldn't discount it.  ;)

Jacquie

Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 October 11 00:12 BST (UK) »

I have seen too many instances of births being registered under a husband's name long after he's died so I wouldn't discount it.

Jacquie

True Jacquie... very true...

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 October 11 00:38 BST (UK) »
It's also possible that George gave up the children after his wife died and stayed in England dying much later.

Jacquie

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 October 11 00:40 BST (UK) »

There is a 40 year old George BARRETT on the 1881 Canadian Census.  Born England, Farm Lab??

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 October 11 21:55 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1871 jacquie posted, the children are living in an orphanage. This can mean they were sent to Canada  by an institution because the father died or abandoned them, ( home children) or the father brought them over and died before 1871, or abandoned them prior to the census...all bleak outcomes for the 2 wee ones...but I am posting to mark this one as a passenger list will need to be found to determine when & how they came.   J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 October 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
I don't think that Francis was born in 1868, I believe it was 1867.

There is an entry in the Free BMD for a birth for Francis George Borrett which was registered in the first quarter of 1867. On the 1901 census Francis indicates his birth date was 7 Dec 1866 which fits with a first quarter of 1867 registration date. You might want to consider ordering the registration to confirm his birth date.

Looking at the 1871 jacquie posted, the children are living in an orphanage. This can mean they were sent to Canada  by an institution because the father died or abandoned them, ( home children) or the father brought them over and died before 1871, or abandoned them prior to the census...all bleak outcomes for the 2 wee ones...but I am posting to mark this one as a passenger list will need to be found to determine when & how they came.

I have a feeling the passenger list with Francis and Mary onboard did not survive. I've searched numerous times for them in both the Canadian and US passenger list databases and have, unfortunately, come up empty.

Jacquie