Author Topic: Bishop family - Alberta and British Columbia  (Read 6650 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop family - Alberta and British Columbia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 May 12 15:25 BST (UK) »
Well there was a Rev. Ernest Bishop Crowsnest Pass 1983   http://www.archivescanada.ca/english/search/ItemDisplay.asp?sessionKey=1143412449030_206_191_57_196&l=0&lvl=2&v=0&coll=0&itm=252507&rt=1&bill=1
There was also one in Regina in the 1960s which could have been one and the same minister
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/h/a/r/Diane-Shauna-Harding/BOOK-0001/0017-0008.html
( I checked and he was born a Methodist but need to look further so see if there were several Ernest Bishop as well)

Found a death for wife of second one above born 1917, so that Ernest already passed...  this one seems to have remained in Sask...so there may have been two Rev. Ernest...I'll see if I can find more on them...
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0mmm/

added revised wording
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 May 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
Is this about your Ernest perhaps, as a conscientious objector?...Mentions he was a theology student and father a minister?  https://circle.ubc.ca/bitstream/id/UBC_1975_A8%20H37_9.pdf ***That link won't work so search for "The social influence of the United Church of Canada in British Columbia 1930-1948" and look for that url  ( For those wondering Meth/Presb joined 1925 to become the United Church, *adding:However Bow Island's St. Andrew's church was joined as a United Church a decade prior, under the leadership of the subject of the query, Rev. Charles Bishop. The Prebyterians had a church but no Minister...The methodists  minister but no church so it was a mutual need resolved...* Story can be read in Lethbridge Herald Nov. 26 1960 if you sill have a sub)

Yes...this would be the one ordained in 1942...( I used the old 1842 back on that page, as I am prone to doing these days, maybe the brain's gone back in time...I know it must be somewhere!)  ;D
This does appear to be the one connected with crowsnest pass (Alberta) unless there were 3 Ernest Bishop who were ministers...One in each Western Province.  Being that ministers would be moved about often, it still could have been the one man...If we can find some Obits it would certainly help.

Yes this one in the publication is your man for certain...He was in Chase B.C. 1943 and the one to whom I had directed you ...in the Lethbridge newspapers who'd been ordained in 1942 ( marriage announcement,, along with that of brother George, no brides named)

In 1940 Ernest won a prize for his essays, brother Charles was in forestry after spending years in a lumber camp...George was attending Victoria College

Mike should be able to find you information from some of these families from a Victoria obit...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 May 12 23:21 BST (UK) »
I wonder why there are 2 daughters mentioned when Ernest graduated ( only time I see a daughter mentioned, and it says there are 2  ;D) also Philip never mentioned at all in any writeups...

ahh, am back, have found the more complete obit for Gwendoline with the full name of Ernest Linton Bishop. They had six sons who survived her...Hmmm...she may have been one of the "daughters" who loved music...Will poke around for more on this Ernest...
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0mn0/   http://www.rootschat.com/links/0mn2/

and very quickly find his death notice is in a Calgary publication "BISHOP, Ernest Linton Rev. 1984" so need to check out this one in case he is all of the above  ;D http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~abwcobit/Data/Papers/1980-1984C/CalgaryDeathsPage44.html

adding again..both he, Ernest Linton Bishop 1918 - 1984 and Amy Gwendoline Mary (ROGERS) Bishop buried in Wascana cemetery Regina... http://saskcemetery.com/riverside_ABC.html

I'll add in case he's yours... He was chairman of the Regina Presbytery of the United Church
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19650605&id=Q4Y1AAAAIBAJ&sjid=Wp8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=6822,973226

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 04:21 BST (UK) »
There is a mention in a death notice that Charles began his service at Cowley Alberta 1906...but I don't see him on the 1906 census...Had you found him on there? http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census06/
Odd that the church itself does not boast being the first united church in Canada ? Did I read that article wrong? http://www.wondercafe.ca/churches/standrews-bowisland
Perhaps because the old church is gone and replaced with a new building? Here is a similar article online, although doesn't state the year he took over the ministry in the church... http://www.bowislandcommentator.com/news/local-news/33-100-years-for-st-andrews-.html

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the links. Though I cannot follow through the last one to the Bow Island Commentator.

I think I still need something to tie in this Ernest in as the son of Charles. There was another Rev Charles BIshop arounf that time - from memory at the moment I thought he was Anglican - and he was also a conscientious objector. But it is a bit of a coincidence if both Chalres Bishops were ministers of Lethbridge United Church. As well as the anomaly on the reference to two sisters rather than one - the article on his oridination in 1942 says his father died two years previously - whereas my Charles died in 1937.

I do not currently have sub to Lethbridge Heralad - I have checked in past as I think it is on Ancestry - and am waiting to subscribe until I am a bit more certain of what I am looking for.

Charles will not be in 1906 census becasue that was year he arrived in Ontario. I think he stayed there until he married in 1912. I definitely have him in Lethbridge in 1916 census - with wife and two eldest children - Charles and Dorothy May. ANd his sister Helen is visiting from England.

I have not been able to trace what happened to his wife or two eldest children - so it would be useful particulary to find a death for May Hilda Bishop.

I am also interested to see if it is possible to trace him in any Essondale hospital records. Two other family members died in mental hospitals around that time - an uncle in 1910 in New Zealand and a cousin in 1931 in England.
BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 17:52 BST (UK) »
It is the death notice 1n 1937 of him having died Vicoria thatg states he started in Cowley 1906...I should think someone from the ministry was who would have that submitted as there was no longer family locally.
I think the line probably said he died two years he left Lethbridge and someone added the word ago...If you think that Ernest belonged to the other Charles, then they both worked at First United in Lethbridge and died in Victoria leaving wives there. have you written the United church to ask about him...? Ministers do not always remain in one church, they often have to serve the whole parish district.
Seems he was a pioneer in his field so there should be some history there. Anyway I'll leave you to it, as you seem settled on what you have found for yourself. J.J.

From a different article, "Ernest L. Bishop" was "of Victoria " when he was awarded the prize for his essays...which seems to help tie in somewhat for name as well as location...The full article said his father died one year after they moved from Lethbridge....so the errors are there, you need to look for more to prove it all for yourself... The Calgary newspaper article says it is a long obit so you could pay for that story as well....

BTW, I will tell you to beware of new members who offer to do lookups as they may want to be paid for their services... We do not charge for services on rootschat. The extensive use of our time...is all free of charge

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thnaks for further comments. My death notice did not mention Cowely, but now I have found it on the map I can see that it ties in with him being on a circuit that incudes Lethbridge. I guess he must have gone there in 1906 when he went to Canada, and then gone back to Ontario to get marriedin 1912 when Hilda May jjoined him - I note that she was born in Darlington, Durham in UK as he was so she must have comeover later - I should be able to confirm this.

The fact that he moved around - including child born in Ponoka - is probably why I havent found Ernests death or death of unknown son - yet. I shall keep on looking

I agree there are lots of slips in notices about death - and you are probably right about the wording in the article. Certainly everything else ties up with the death in Victoria in 1837.  When I was looking before I did find an article written by a Rev Charles Bishop - and somehow got the impression there were two Charles BIshops - from my notes one was still alive in 1943 - so I need to revisit this to check what I was thinking at the time.
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
I have just put together map of all the places associated with Charles - including Cowley and Coaldale and Bow Island - and it makes much more sense.
I have also found my Rev Charles Co ref - he was at Bow Island - see attached

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
Maybe read the thread through one more time like I did