Author Topic: Jane McCallum 1819 Shotts Lanarkshire  (Read 6036 times)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Jane McCallum 1819 Shotts Lanarkshire
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 August 16 07:51 BST (UK) »
This information confirms and consolidates what I know of the family history.  My grandmother, Margaret Gordon Dunsmore (1892 London-1967 Houston) was the daughter of a commercial traveller for a lace manufacturer and grew up in Milngavie as the oldest child and only daughter in a family that included five surviving sons.  The 1911 census shows her to be a scholar of singing,  Press clippings from 1912 and 1915 show her as winning awards in singing competitions.     
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline CF1981

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 August 16 21:37 BST (UK) »
" 1818- James McCallum weaver in Burnie of Wester Moffat and Mary Murray Spouse had a daughter born there on the 22nd Novr and baptized here on the 7th of March 1819 Matno Sponsor and named Jane McCallum"

The place name looks like Burnie to me, but I can't find it in Scotland's Places.
 Matno Sponsor might be a Latin term, but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas?

Apologies if this has been answered, but I got....

1878 James Mccallum weaver
in Burnie of Wester Moffat and
mary murray spouse had a
daughter born there on the 22nd
Nov and baptized here on the 7th March 1879 _ sponser
and Mairead Jane McCallum

I think if this is a Church of Scotland family, which it looks like it may be, it would be unlikely to contain any Latin.
I'm from Scotland btw :)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 August 16 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you, CF1981.  Scotlands People gives the date of baptism as 1819.  Burn appears to be the name of the house.  Latin phrases are quite common in the writing of lawyers, and Presbyterian and Episcopal clergy of this period.  I have adherents to both faiths among my Scottish ancestors, but no Roman Catholics that I know of.  A working knowledge of Latin was a requirement of most university curricula in the era.  Jane was the older sister of Grizel or Grace McCallum who was my direct ancestor.  I have attached the record of Grace's baptism record.
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline CF1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 August 16 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you, CF1981.  Scotlands People gives the date of baptism as 1819.  Burn appears to be the name of the house.  Latin phrases are quite common in the writing of lawyers, and Presbyterian and Episcopal clergy of this period.  I have adherents to both faiths among my Scottish ancestors, but no Roman Catholics that I know of.  A working knowledge of Latin was a requirement of most university curricula in the era.  Jane was the older sister of Grizel or Grace McCallum who was my direct ancestor.  I have attached the record of Grace's baptism record.
Ah right, I am a Roman Catholic myself... And was always under the impression that the Calvinist churches were very anti-anything to do with Catholicism, like statues and crucifixes and Latin, since that is the official language of the church, I will bear that in mind, thank you.
I would say, Burn in Scotland is a name for a small river.... That may be something to do with it. I'll have a look at the other document you posted :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 August 16 22:58 BST (UK) »
Mairead Jane McCallum would be Margaret Jane

Mairead being gaelic for Margaret

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline CF1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 August 16 23:04 BST (UK) »
Mairead Jane McCallum would be Margaret Jane

Mairead being gaelic for Margaret

Annie

It's definitely Grizel on the other one, would you agree? Grizel is an archaic girl's name in Scotland. Not many about now.

Offline CF1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 August 16 23:06 BST (UK) »

It says James McCallum is from Clarkston, which is an area of Glasgow if that's any help :)

Offline CF1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 August 16 23:08 BST (UK) »

And the other names I think are, Mary and Alexander Morrison, if you don't already know that  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 August 16 23:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, Agreed Grizel/Grizell/Grizzel & possibly other variants is an old name for Grace.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"