Author Topic: Dalley  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dalley
« on: Tuesday 04 October 11 08:43 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the Dalley family in Herefordshire and potentially in nearby counties. My G grandfather was Thomas Dalley (1855 - 1897). Here's what I have so far: He was born about 1855 in Fownhope, Herefordshire, according to one census, the other just giving Herefordshire. He appears in the 1881 and 1891 censuses in Cardiff, Wales. I have the marriage certificate, Cardiff 11a 371, showing he married Bessie Westacott from Devon on 29 May 1878 in Cardiff. His death shows up in FreeBMD, Cardiff 11a 732, in the 1st quarter of 1897.

The marriage certificate shows his father as Thomas Dalley, deceased. So my problem is to find out more about this Thomas Dalley, not knowing who he married, or when and where he was born and died.  Thomas Dalley is not a rare name! :-( I can't find a good record match for the birth his son Thomas Dallow in the 1854-1856 period in Fownhope.

I'd like to hear from anyone researching this family or who is related to these Thomas Dallows.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dalley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 10:35 BST (UK) »
Maybe this is Thomas in 1861?

Reference RG09, Piece 1817, Folio 2, Page 2
7 Village, Fownhope, Herefordshire

Dallow, Ann  Head  Widow  F  48  b Fownhope
Dallow, Charles  Son  M  17  Ag Lab  b Fownhope
Dallow, William  Son  M  16  Ag Lab  b Fownhope
Dallow, Thomas  Son  M  6  b Fownhope
Dallow, Mary Ann  Daughter  F  4  b Woolhope
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found this birth record

Thomas Dallow
Apr Qtr 1854
Reg Hereford
Vol 6a
Page 456

Margp

Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 19:01 BST (UK) »
KGarrad and MargP,

Thanks for the replies.  I should have mentioned in starting this thread that I'd done some investigation of various Dallow possibilities (see my thread below titled Dallow for the details on the way this played out). I was actually pretty much convinced that the Fownhope Dallow family mentioned here was my line. One reason was that, though I could find no matches for Thomas Dalley connected to Fownhope, I found Thomas Dallow, and he shows up again in the 1871 census. So, it seemed more than a coincidence, that my Thomas Dalley seemed absent from the 1861 and 1871 censuses, while Thomas Dallow appeared in both. Moreover, Fownhope seemed to be a very small place, and this increased my confidence in the equation Thomas Dallow = Thomas Dalley.

Then I sent for the birth certificate mentioned here, Hereford 6a 456, 2nd quarter 1854. The person identified is Thomas Dallow, born 20 Apr 1854, Bye St. St. Peters, to Thomas Dallow, Postman, and Caroline Dallow, late Caswell, formerly Carpenter.

It appears that the Thomas Dallow in this certificate is not the Thomas Dallow in the Fownhope family, and both families appear separately through several censuses. In addition, it doesn't seem that the Thomas Dallow of the birth certificate is my Thomas Dalley, because I find a good match for him living with a widowed Caroline Dallow (mother) in Croydon Surrey in the 1881 census. Birth dates for both are consistent with earlier records.

Back to the Fownhope Dallows. It looks like Ann Dallow married and was widowed fairly quickly, then married a 2nd time to Joseph Dallow, who died before the 1861 census. If Joseph Dallow is correctly identified as the father of this Thomas Dallow, as I think is likely (not certain, just rather likely - see Dallow thread), then he's ruled out as my GG grandfather, because the marriage certificate of Thomas Dalley and Bessie Westacott gives his name as Thomas.

So that's as far as I've got in starting the search again. I haven't ruled out Dallow or any other variant of Dalley. At the moment, though, it appears these two Dallow candidates are not the right ones.