Author Topic: Help with Latin Translation?  (Read 744 times)

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help with Latin Translation?
« on: Wednesday 05 October 11 08:20 BST (UK) »
Can any Latin scholar help me please?

The following scan is an extract from the marriage register for the marriage of my gt grandparents at St Michan's RC church in Dublin in 1862. Further RC records for Dublin have just been released by 'IrishGenealogy.ie'

I am happy that the first column is for the addresses of the bridge and groom at the time of marriage but the second column has me stumped. From some of the 'on-line' translation tools (the Family Search one seems the best so far) the 2nd column appears to be something to do with 'Banns' and the entry looks as if it may have something to do with a 'dispensation' of some sort.

One very helpful 'RootsChatter' has suggested that I repost the original message on message on this forum, she has commented as follows................

I haven't made any more progress- apart from identifying Archbishop and then there are some letters ending in ak I think on that line
The last line I see as g 2 and cannot make any sense of the last word.
As it was a dispensation by the Archbishop I suspect it was due to fact that there was a close degree of consanguinity between the bride and groom and wonder if g 2 means gradus 2 =  first cousins as gradus 3 or 3rd degree means 2nd cousins. Though it was most unusual for 1st cousins to get permission to marry.

Does anyone have any additional ideas?

H

Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Latin Translation?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
We have looked at this for some time. If it's dispensatio concedatur a archiepiscopo the word after archbishop should be his name, I think, but I can't read it. Or perhaps archbishop of a particular place? All I can suggest for the last line is gr meaning gratia, so "by the grace of God vicar general" but I am not happy with it, sorry, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 12:58 BST (UK) »
Catholic Archbishop of Dublin at the time was Paul (later Cardinal) Cullen, so does the bit after archiepiscopo say Pauli?

Adrian

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
Clayton/Adrian

Many thanks indeed for your help.
If either or both or you would like a copy of the page containing the entry for my gt grandparents please PM me with your email adds & I'll send it along. The priest, Fr. H BEARDWOOD, who conducted the ceremony also carried out another marriage further down the page but his handwriting on the 2nd marriage seems a little clearer.

Thank you again for your help.

H
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell