Author Topic: Alexander Watt Beveridge  (Read 12162 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Watt Beveridge
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 06 October 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/12936469/person/12194812861

This Henry is the brother of Alexander Watt Beveridge. His children

Lartilia Beveridge
          1878 –

William Henry Beveridge
          1879 – 1963

Annette J Beveridge
          1881 –

would have been contemporairies of Marianne and her Ist Cousins. Maybe contacting the owner of the tree would enable Seoras to pass on the image? - or find out if there are closer relatives about. Or hope these names may just jog someone's memory here in due course.

The source for this Harry being Alexander Watt's Beveridge  brother:

AN ACCOUNT OF THE BEVERIDGE FAMILY IN DUNFERMLINE (1890). By A W Cornelius Hallen. Commissioned by Erskine Beveridge jnr, .......... The brother of Erskine primus, Henry Beveridge (1799-1863) of Inzievar, was an advocate, and the life of his son, Henry Beveridge (1837-1929) of the Bengal Civil Service, and that of his wife, Annette Susannah Akroyd (1842-1929), has been written by Lord Beveridge under the title of "India Called Them" (1947).

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 06 October 11 19:37 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - could Hazel be "Hazell" - Scots surname?
See she is down as Maryanna in the 1901 Census...unles its a transcription error....

Hi PM,yes I saw that but think it is Marianne,it seems to be that mostly and on the back of the photo they have it as Hazel.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 06 October 11 21:05 BST (UK) »
PM,MonicaL has sent me some fantastic info (thank you very much Monica),the ships manifests confirm the name as the same as on the photo Marianne Hazel Beveridge.

In 1932 aged 50 she travelled from New Zealand,on the 'Aorangi'.She had been visiting her brother,a doctor.She arrived in Vancouver,Canada in May and on to the USA via Buffalo,New York.Then back to Canada to sail from Montreal on the 'Duchess of York'.This was the sister ship of the Duchess of Bedford she sailed on in 1936.Arrived in Liverpool.

I think the 1936 trip must have been taking her to Australia as she left there from Brisbane on the 'Nestor' in 1937 via Sydney,Melbourne,Adelaide,Cape Town and Durban and back to the UK.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 06 October 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
Well done to Monica. Does this mean she may have died in the UK? Which brother did she go to see on her travels, and where was he - wonder if he gets a mention in Trove or PapersPast, or BMD announcements. There is some thing in that family book - see 36 post - I'll look it up.

PM

Later..."The sister of Erskine primus, Elizabeth Beveridge (1795-1870) married James Adamson of Crossgates; early pioneers of South Australia, their story, and that of their descendants, has been written by Robert Adamson and Ben Evans in "Dunfermline to Down Under" (1994).

She would be Marianee's grandaunt, so the decendants would be relatives too..

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 06 October 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
Her brother Captain Henry Beveridge(who married in 1918 in Salisbury) was in the Dorset regiment.When his father died in 1916,Henry was a prisoner of the Germans and had been for 16 months.
When I bought this photo it was because of where it was taken (Edinburgh) as I have family history in the area and was born not far away.Also the Beveridge name in Scotland as I knew I had a link to that.Alas the nearest any of mine got to cruising was in fishing boats out of Fife ;D.
But,I bought this card not far away from Salisbury,so did her brother settle there,could that be how it ended up here.Somewhat sad,their family history for sale on an antique stall.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 06 October 11 22:29 BST (UK) »
That makes a lot of sense - it is a very appealing photo, it has quite captured my imagination - for different reasons - I may PM you about those later!

We do know from what I found out that her brothers wife, Marjorie Shuttlebuck Rendell was from the area, so there is a link to Sailsbury. I will continue to see if the Major Henry Beveridge who lived and had two children in Sailsbury is in fact her brother. What year did you buy the photo? I could look up and see if there was an auction that year for the three address I have for the Major and the Shuttlebucks, from the marriage and the two birth notices.

Thinking about that Ancestry tree, maybe a simple thing to do would put a comment on Uncle Harry of India and a link to this thread. Marjorie's family have some trees too, but don't give any children, but she is not a central line on those.

I agree, its always sad to find these photos abandoned, but very glad you rescued this one. PM  ;)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 07 October 11 14:06 BST (UK) »
Seems to be a death on Scotlandspeople for a Marianne Beveredige in 1946 but I don't have a sub. Anyone able to do a lookup. Think this is the only posible one that fits with her birth date. There is one other, but itis 2000 so too late.
Also wondering if the 1911 gave her an occupation.
PM

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 07 October 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
Does it say where PM,on the passengers lists for her travels in 1932 and 1937 she gives her home address as Balquharrie,a large house outside Muthill in Perthshire.It still exists.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 07 October 11 17:45 BST (UK) »
No, I don't have a sub, so can't establish that, alas! busy tonight but will look tommorow re the salisbury connection.

PM