Author Topic: Isaac Mcleod and Beaton?  (Read 10242 times)

Offline Pheebz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Mcleod and Beaton?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, lovely to hear from you! Your Dad isn't by chance called John is he as I may know of the link in our family through my mum. I've done a bit more research on this Lop/Lap puzzle over time however I'm not sure how accurate my findings are. I have came across a Maria Loppes from Lisbon Portugal through Portugal records. I know it's a bit of a leap however I've came across a lot of typos in the census over time with misspelling of names etc.

Offline WEEGRM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pheebz

Yes!!! My Dad is John, and his dad was John and his dad was Grigor.  Who is your mum?

Offline WEEGRM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I also think you are probably right with Maria Loppes.  I think Lap is definitely a typo and Mary Lop sounds more like the name the locals in Inverness may have called her lol. 

Offline Pheebz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 12:01 GMT (UK) »
My mum is Morag. I am Fiona. My Grandpa was Alfred. I have since found that Grigor was actually Gregor and it was a typo too! So curious about the name Isaac as it seems such a Hebrew name for Inverness area although I've searched am baile and noted quite a few Isaacs during that period so perhaps it was just a fashionable name at the time!

Offline WEEGRM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 12:21 GMT (UK) »
How interesting, my dad will be amazed when I tell him about this, he loves all this stuff too.  I wondered about the name Grigor and thought maybe it was a Hebrew variation of Gregor maybe  following on from Isaac lol.  In hindsight though, I think that's just how it's pronounced in Inverness.   Isaac does appear to be a popular name for the period but it's still a bit strange.  I'll be in touch if I find out anything else and it would be great to hear from you too. So nice to hear from you. :)

Offline gazza855

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 13 November 15 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Weegrm & Pheebz.

I have been off family tree stuff for a while, but am keen to get back in on things.

I am also living near Inverness and might be able to do a little more digging on things.

Hope to hear from you

Gazza
Donnelly, Loney, McLauchlan, Tweedle, Petrie, Loew

Offline Imelda53

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 16 September 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
I am new to this website and not sure how old this chat is. However, I have also been researching Isaac Mcleod and found a newspaper article that may be of interest.

The article was published in The Highland News, 17 September 1904, and entitled, "A Walk Through Inverness Sixty Years Ago."  It is a remarkable memory, showing what an impression the Portuguese lady must have made in Inverness. When I first read about her, I was concerned that she may have felt isolated, but it looks like she was a bubbly, sociable person. This is what the author says about Mary:

"That tidy little body who is conversing with Mrs Matheson at the close-mouth is the widow of John Macleod, an Inverness soldier, who married her during the occupation of Portugal by the British Army. She is a Portuguese lady, and her maiden name was Mary Lopaz. She has brought up a family, and has evidently not been able to return to her native sunny south, although she never tires of dilating on its many and varied beauties."

It says her husband's name was John, but I think it must be the same person. Mary's burial is noted in the Catholic Archives.