Author Topic: Marlborough Street, Mountjoy, Dublin  (Read 9009 times)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marlborough Street, Mountjoy, Dublin
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 12:28 BST (UK) »
Dublin Daily Express, 27 Mar 1915
Shop to Let in most populous ready money locality, 43 Marlborough Street, corner of Gloucester Street (now Cathal Brugha Street?)

https://webapps.geohive.ie/mapviewer/index.html
To view the area pre. development click on URL (you may have to accept Terms/Conditions) and zoom in on Dublin to find Marlborough Street (look for Eden Quay on river) - zoom in close.
When found, click on logo top left of screen that looks like a Rubiks cube!! Reveals "Basemap Gallery" and click on bottom right hand map (Map Genie 25 inch)

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 13:44 BST (UK) »
Gloucester Street Upper is now named Sean MacDermott street, Cathal Brugha street is a new street created after the civil war about where the ruins of St. Thomas Church of Ireland were, it overlaps with part of Findlater place.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 16:56 BST (UK) »
I had also checked the "MapGenie 6 Inch Last Edition" which distinguished between Cathal Brugha to the West and Sean MacDermott to the East of Marlborough Street. Unsure which map applied to 1915 and plumped for the 25 inch edition.
How can I determine the dates of the maps listed under "Basement Gallery"?

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 17:32 BST (UK) »
the 25 inch is from about 1890-1910
the 6 inch "Last Edition' I believe is estimated to be 1930s so after the civil war the loss of St. Thomas church and creation of Cathal Brugha Street
the two other 6 inch maps are from the 1st OS survey late 1830s to 1840s
the two map genie standard and Eire maps are current, the Aerial views are dated.

The closest map to the way the streets were in 1916 would be the 25inch, the address mentioned would probably have been almost opposite the church, current location allowing for renaming etc would be on the corner of Marlborough street and Sean MacDermott street  (I think the northern side) and opposite the junction between Marlborough street and the "new" Cathal Brugha Street

added - a part of Gloucester Street / Sean  MacDermott street to the east of Marlborough street was apparently reassigned as an extension of Cathal Brugha street in 1992

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 18:30 BST (UK) »