Author Topic: James Steele - Chelsea pensioner - Army record?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Olive M

• RootsChat Member
  • Hello
    • View Profile
James Steele - Chelsea pensioner - Army record?
« on: Thursday 06 October 11 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
My 79 year old Mother-in-law has recently asked me to look into her family. I have found her great great grandfather and have made her more curious.

I'll tell you what I know so far

James Steel(e) was born in 1817 in Gloucester. In 1841 he was a soldier based at Wellington Barracks Westminster London. He married Mary Davis in 1846 in St Peter Tower of London. In 1851 he lived at 2 Providence Row Westminster with  Mary and two children. In 1861 he had moved to Wooton Bedford. Here he was a Chelsea Pensioner and Railway gate keeper. He died in Wooton in 1885.

Ma-in-law would love to know more about his military career. When he joined up? What rank he reached? Any little snippet would be great.

If any of you could please help both I and M-i-l will be very grateful.
Thank you
Olive
Areas Wickhambrook, Cowlinge, Chevington, Woolpit, Elmswell, Wetherden, Stansfield
Names King, Prigg, Osborn, Ransome, Metcalf, Alexander, Burrows, Moyer, Rutter, Simpkin, Balls

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Steele - Chelsea pensioner - Army record?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 October 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
Theres a James Steele who possibly fits
yob 1816
Haresfield Gloucester
attested 18 Nov 1834
Private in Scots Fusiliers Reg of Foot Guards
No 1825
discharged 15 July 1857 London

4 pages of records
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Olive M

• RootsChat Member
  • Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 October 11 10:01 BST (UK) »
That looks very interesting, thank you. I've seen Haresfield mentioned before and had though that he was probably discharged before moving to Wooton mid 1850's. You mention 4 pages of records. How can I get access to them?
Thanks again for your help
O
Areas Wickhambrook, Cowlinge, Chevington, Woolpit, Elmswell, Wetherden, Stansfield
Names King, Prigg, Osborn, Ransome, Metcalf, Alexander, Burrows, Moyer, Rutter, Simpkin, Balls

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 October 11 10:04 BST (UK) »
You can buy credits on findmypast to get access to them
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Olive M

• RootsChat Member
  • Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 October 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Now I know where to look that's half the battle.
Your help is very much appreciated.