Author Topic: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?  (Read 31496 times)

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 08 December 11 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ian et al.

Unfortunately I had to reduce the pixels to make the photo under 500KB for Rootschat attachments, but it is only a rather poor photocopy of the original photo. I suspect that the original is in the Wellingborough Museum. I could maybe send a better copy to you directly by email. I wonder if anyone could date that photo from the dress of the person in in.

regards,

Vincent

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 08 December 11 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Ian and Vincent,
Looks like we may be getting closer to the truth...the technology re size and so on is rather beyond me.  But that old photo does seem to have similar tall chimneys too.  There's a section on Rootschat where clever people could date the photo for us fairly accurately.  I once put on a photo of a group of workmen standing in a large hole in the road in London, and we had a great deal of discussion (and fun) pinning down its exact location and date...
keith

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 09 December 11 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all :)

The Photo Restoration and Dating board has heard your call and I am here to see if I can help date your photo/s :)

The photo of the house is pretty nigh impossible to date as no detail of clothing etc. can be seen, nor do we have any information about its size, mount etc.

The photo of the man I would put in the 1860s or possibly early 70s, but we would need to see the whole photo to pin it down more (i.e. all of the picture plus the mounting card that it's on, and the back of the card if there's anything on it).

Hope that helps a bit!

Cheers
Prue

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 09 December 11 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Prue.

Greatly appreciated.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 09 December 11 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Agree with Prue on the dating but would tend more to the earlier end of her time frame...1860s. The full-length pose, blank background, small table and the out-of-focus flooring (a limitation of early camera lenses) all say early-mid 1860s  to me.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 09 December 11 15:14 GMT (UK) »
My contribution is pre 1870, possibly the mid 1860s.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 09 December 11 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,

I have had personal message exchanges with Ian and Prue, but I thought I would post this response more generally on this thread.

The photo of William Dulley is an original from my daughter's mother, that I have temporarily borrowed. On the back is handwritten in ink "Grandfather Wm Dulley" in the handwriting of Constance Cook. The printed notice on the back says "Negatives kept - Copies can always de had", and gives the photographer as "T. Miller" at an address that looks like "7 Kilke White Street, Nottingham". I am inclined to date it to the 1860s as well, but maybe with this information photo buffs can be more precise.

Secondly, with this I have a photo of his wife, Sarah Dulley (nee Mee) (1809-1863) (attached), which must date from before 1863, when she died in June 1863, aged 54. On the back of the photo is the number written in pencil 4107, and the writing in ink "Grandmother Dulley (nee Mee)" and the printed emblem of the photographer - "C.T. Newcombe" at "109 Regent St., W" "and at 135 Fenchurch St., City" (presumably in London.

Do any of you have further thoughts on these?

regards,

Vincent

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 09 December 11 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Also early-mid 1860s, well before 1868 when skirt fashion changed. The necklace the lady is wearing will likely be hand-carved out of a single piece of wood...a sort of love token.

Pre 1863 is just right for this photo.

It would be good if we could see the entire thing, also the back if there is any printing on it.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 12:04 BST (UK) »
Just an up-date.  :)

The house in the photograph on Page 6, reply 57 it seems
is much to modern to be the Cottage of 1840's-50's that was
asked about in the original request.

I thought so at the time but did not want to dis-agree with all.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright