Author Topic: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?  (Read 31505 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Sandy,
Nice to hear from you again, and thanks for those remarks!
We had our 39th Cambridge Beer Festival here in late May, and I always make a bee-line for the man with the stall who sells books that deal with Brewers.  This time I picked up a copy of the second edition of "Brewed in Northants" by Mike Brown, and pages 196-200 have lots of lovely detail about DULLEY's.
By the by, there was also a good pictorial history (which I couldn't help buying as well) of the WETHERED brewing family by a former employer, David Evans, which came out only last year, 2011.  My great-grandmother married into this WETHERED family in 1897...
very best wishes, keith

Offline nadine a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 18:47 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

I have had personal message exchanges with Ian and Prue, but I thought I would post this response more generally on this thread.

The photo of William Dulley is an original from my daughter's mother, that I have temporarily borrowed. On the back is handwritten in ink "Grandfather Wm Dulley" in the handwriting of Constance Cook. The printed notice on the back says "Negatives kept - Copies can always de had", and gives the photographer as "T. Miller" at an address that looks like "7 Kilke White Street, Nottingham". I am inclined to date it to the 1860s as well, but maybe with this information photo buffs can be more precise.

Secondly, with this I have a photo of his wife, Sarah Dulley (nee Mee) (1809-1863) (attached), which must date from before 1863, when she died in June 1863, aged 54. On the back of the photo is the number written in pencil 4107, and the writing in ink "Grandmother Dulley (nee Mee)" and the printed emblem of the photographer - "C.T. Newcombe" at "109 Regent St., W" "and at 135 Fenchurch St., City" (presumably in London.

Do any of you have further thoughts on these?

regards,

Vincent

HI Vincent

l was kindly shown the link to this post by Sandy who mentioned your connection to the Mee Family and that Sarah Dulley ( nee Mee ) Grandfather was Francis Mee who l recently found l believe to be his baptism Francis Mee 13 September 1701 All Hallow Church Rushden, My link is through Francis Mee and his Second Marriage to Ann Stanion and their son Samuel Mee Baptist 24 May 1736 Rushden Samuel married Elizabeth Abbott on 4th December 1758 At st Marys Church Rushden, Samuel and Elizabeth Mee's Daughter Elizabeth Mee baptist 24 March 1765 Rushden Elizabeth Married Simon Allen on the 18th April 1785 Higham Ferrers Simon and Elizabeth Allen (nee Mee) are my Grandmothers Gt GT GT Grandparents.

Samuel Mee and Elizabeth Mee (nee Abbott) also had a son named John Mee who at one time was also in the brewery business this is a link l found that mentions and a lnn called the Green Dragon

www.rushdenheritage.co.uk/Villages/HF/HF-greendragon.html

lt would be lovely to know if there is a link as do enjoy researching extended lines :)

you photo of Sarah is lovely

Kind Regards

Nadine :)
ward, Harris, Bevan, Evans, Allen, Taylor, Radwell, Blackwell, Cherry, Bradshaw

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 23:25 BST (UK) »
HI Keith.  :)

Good to hear from you here again.

Nice you have now seen the article in the Brewers Book of
the Dulleys.

Also that you are still collecting family heirlooms.

Hi also to Nadine, hope Vincent gets in touch with you soon.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline tonimbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Just reading about the DULLEY family, and although they are not my family I was passed to me a picture of the grave of James Dulley - died 1900........
This is the grave stone we saw in the churchyard above Menton.  1900 aged 59 years
Menton is on the border with Italy along the french coast.
Of anyone wants a copy, I am pleased to send it to them
It might just solve a mystery as to where he died for some of you folks

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 06 November 14 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this on the gravestone of Catherine Mary Dulley in 1900. It perhaps explains why James Dulley has so far not been located in the 1901 Census in England. In the 1911 Census, however, James DULLEY (69) widowed (born in Wellingborough) Director of Brewery, was recorded with his son, James DULLEY junior (34) (single) Professional Brewer (born in Wellingborough) and 2 servants at The Gubbs, St. Mary’s Road, Leicester. He still seems to have been around in the 1920s, but I had it that James Henry DULLEY died on October 1, 1928, but I do not know where.
Vincent

Offline tonimbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 06 November 14 09:05 GMT (UK) »
  Glad the grave photo helped. Always good to share!
Toni

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 06 November 14 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Just by way of confirmation re the death of Catherine Dulley:

Northampton Mercury 28 December 1900

DULLEY - On the 22nd Dec, at Mentone, Mary, wife of James Dulley. of East Farndon Hall Market Harborough, aged 52. The only intimation

Directly above that is this one:

CHANDLEY  -On the 22nd inst.at Mentone, France, Bertha Caroline wife of Wilson Chandley, Buxton. Derbyshire, and daughter of Henry H. Green. Felmersham, Beds.

It looks like they may have did in the same incident.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 07 November 14 16:03 GMT (UK) »
There is an article in The Mercury dated 5th October 1928 of James Dulley age 86 who died in Leicester the last male member of William Dulley who founded the brewery. It is interesting reading.

CraftyP

Offline tonimbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 07 November 14 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Goodness I didn't realise it would bring such results, finding the gravestone of Catherine, James's wife, in France.
Many thanks to all