Author Topic: Esther CREIGHTON of Coonamble-criminal in 1880's & then what?  (Read 16584 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Esther CREIGHTON of Coonamble-criminal in 1880's & then what?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 09:39 BST (UK) »
Perhaps a very long shot, but there is a file that has not yet been digitised and it is at the National Archives of Australia for E. Baruffi.  1947 - 1947.  Their barcode is  for the file 1879018.  The index does NOT give any clues as to "E" being either male or female.   There's also several different files for Peter Baruffi, perhaps there's several men with that name  ???

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/index.aspx

(I am still looking through my NSW offline resources, definitely agree, another elusive is Dorothy Whalan  :-X )

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM
Will check out the file at National Archives site. Wonder if I can order a copy....

Thanks again for all your help- and have fingers and toes crossed!
Kylie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
Consolation Prizes for this evening

Sands Alphabetical Directory of Sydney
1900 Rev George Hay, (Pres) Petersham Rd, Marrickville 
1905 Rev George Hay, 321 Elizabeth St Sydney, private residence Fletcher St Marrickville.
1910 Rev George Hay, 279 Elizabeth St Sydney, private residence 86 George St, St Peters.

(Consolation because there's no BARUFFI nor CREIGHTON nor WHALAN on the 1903 Electoral Roll for Marrickville)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 07:28 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks JM
YOu have got me thinking about the whole Italian marrying in a Presbyterian church mystery now too....

There are so many questions and holes in this family's story!!

Where to look next then?
Kylie

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 13 October 11 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie, I have been watching this post with interest and doing a little research on your Taylor Family. Have you seen the Taylor family from Tamworth?

They (Samuel & Elizabeth) had 8 children from 1859 -1872. NOT ONE them Named on their BC. Two died young in Tamworth Samuel 1875 and Mary 1863. It is difficult to discern the later deaths as many of the females would have had married names.

But there are several likely ones around the New England Region. Possible Church Records may be available via a search through Historical society records in Tamworth.

It is Possible your Esther is among them. Wild card option if all else fails.

Cheers
Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 13 October 11 07:17 BST (UK) »
Agh, so good to know that there is another set of eyes trying to help.   I have NOT found anything further to add, despite looking, looking, looking. 

I wonder if BARUFFI was perhaps altered to a more Anglo surname, but alas, I cannot think of what that would be.   Emily was entitled to enrol to vote, but I have not found her as Baruffi in my hardcopy rolls for 1903 or my CD for 1913.   Mind you, it is not an easy task for these are separated into their local sub-divisions within each electorate, and even pre WWI there were quite a few electorates just for NSW.

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 13 October 11 07:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Neil
Sounds like a pretty good possibility...would fit the lack of an appropriate birth, and is at least heading west more so than Berrima and Goulburn.

I might try and contact Tamworth and see if there are any church records avail- if there was no name on the birth rego, is it likely there was one recorded by the church??

MJ- I have no idea what Baruffi might have been anglicised to....her sister Edith lived around the hurstville area before her marriage in 1911 if that is of any help area-wise?

George- son of Esther (as opposed to husband) died in WW1. His widow lived in Temora, but they were married in Balmain.

Other son Charles Richard I am not sure what became of him....or daughter Sarah.

Cheers
Kylie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 13 October 11 07:32 BST (UK) »
I think that a name is always given when anyone is baptised, and it would be likely that that name would then be recorded in the Church registry  :)   My fingers are crossed that Neil's getting us back on track....  :)  :)  :)

I will try those Electoral Rolls again, especially around Hurstville, Balmain etc

JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 October 11 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie and Majm, Unusual for them not to be Christened at all but also a possibilty.
A clue may be the Church they married in if not a civil ceremony. See marriage under.

2699/1858  Husband TAYLOR  SAMUEL,  wife TAILBY  ELIZABETH  at TAMWORTH.

I dont think would be too many Tailby's in Tamworth in the 1860's.

Whoops should have checked first a heap of Ladies. But only Jane in Gunnedah 1875 and Elizabeth in Tamworth 1858. Possibly a large family of Taylors in Tamworth as seven of them married between 1858 and 1868, 5 in Tamworth and 2 in Gunnedah. ::)

Neil ;D
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads