Author Topic: James McKee and Margaret Ann Cavanagh, Northampton, Pennsylvania  (Read 9230 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: James McKee and Margaret Ann Cavanagh, Northampton, Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 October 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
Have some marriage and other info as a follow up which I will send by pm.  I'll eat my HAT if you don't find a living descendant  ;)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 October 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
Brilliant stuff, Sandra....thanks again.

Still wonder where Margaret and James were at 1900 census...mmmmm..suppose I can't be too greedy with all these other finds  :).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 October 11 19:39 BST (UK) »
It looks as if they might have been in Scranton  - thats where Mary was born but they could easily be mistranscribed.  You never know someone may find them.  ;)

Good Luck
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 October 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
Scranton and Northampton are about 71 miles apart - 1 hour 24 mins according to google.  Perhaps the Pennsylvania expert - Johnnyboy will come along and advise you the best places to look for the marriage of James and Margaret and birth of Mary. Can't see any RAOGK or library facility in Northampton at the moment which might help.

Sandra

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 October 11 20:35 BST (UK) »
7 Dec. 1954 - Bridgeport Telegram

"Mrs. James McKee

Mrs. Margaret McKee of 1293 North Avenue, Stratford, widow of James McKee, died at 1:55 am today in Bridgeport hospital where she was admitted Nov. 29 for medical treatment. 

Services will take place Friday at 2 pm in the Stratford funeral home of Dennis and D'Arcy, 2611 Main Street.  Burial will be at Lakeview cemetery.

Born in Ireland, Mrs. McKee, a resident of Stratford 30 years, was a member of Gospel Hall.

She is survived by a son, Jonathan H. McKee;  a daughter Mrs. William H. Greer, both of Stratford;  a sister in Ireland, and four grandchildren."

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 October 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
William  H Greer. Born about 1908 and aged 63 years. Died 19 April 1971 Stratford. Connecticut
Married. Wife:- Mary

Sandra

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 October 11 20:42 BST (UK) »
Goodness shelly and Sandra....you are both on a roll with this one   :D

The 'sister in Ireland' bit is encouraging as it was only a few months ago that I received a note of the Margaret I am following having married a James McKee in USA - this was from a lady in her 80s who I believe more than likely to be this 'sister's' daughter - would have been great if the obit had named the sister as that would have given me certainty or otherwise.....so tantalisingly close to having the final bits of proof, but maybe one of Margaret's descendants will know the name and I can then cross reference with what I know (when I finally make contact with one...which with all this info, should hopefully happen).

My 99.999999999999999999999% feeling that I have been following the right Margaret now has a fair few more .999999999s on it.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 October 11 21:27 BST (UK) »
Quick update on another great find connected to this family.

Before posting here,  earlier today, as a longshot, I sent an email off to library in Stratford, CT, based on the SSDI info we had found for Jonathan whilst in chatterbox.  Librarian has gone the extra mile and found me what looked to be Jonathan arriving US from Ireland in 1905. Anyhow,  I've just been on Ellis and lo and behold, the manifest shows family group of James, Margaret, Mary and Jonathan (both children noted as born US) returning to Bridgeport, CT!!!  (I'd been on Ellis previously but looking for James' arrival in 1895....wasn't expecting that they had gone on a trip back to Ireland with two very young children early 1900)

Seems everyone is on a roll now with this search.

;D

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 October 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Oh, crumbs - saw that earlier - typed out ready for posting and then decided you probably already had that info  ??? Never found the incoming one though.

Sandra