Author Topic: Saunders in Waterford help please?  (Read 7350 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Saunders in Waterford help please?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 October 11 17:52 BST (UK) »
Guilcagh looks close to Portlaw on a map, but not close to the entries on the Griffiths Valuations?? (I don't know Irish geography).

turns out that Guilcagh is a townland - it consists of about 760 acres and located south across the river Suir from the centre of Portlaw town.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 October 11 18:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, I thought there marriage cert would be the next step if I could just be a little more certain they are the right people... I'd hate to make assumptions and get carried away with the wrong family, actually I think finding out I'd done that would break my heart after I got 'attached' to (dead) people lol

I think the level of proof you have at the moment is about as good as you will get... the only other details that might help would be if you could maybe find either of her parents or siblings on something to connect them with to your Sarah e.g. witness on a marriage cert, English census return etc

Saunders isnt a common surname in the area, so I would think the chances of there being another George Saunders, Schoolmaster in Co. Waterford at that time is remote

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline nowel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
It would appear that Sarah was named after an older sibling who died 1864. Catherine also died young.
From Waterford County Library death registers:

Sarah Saunders                                    Catherine Saunders     
21 William St., Portlaw                          Ballycahane  (just outside Portlaw)
Age: 2                                                   Age: 2
date of death: 11 Mar 1864                  Date of death: 16 Mar 1872
child of ??? Saunders, schoolmaster.    child of George Saunders, schoolmaster.

Link to death registers - http://tinyurl.com/67ejekv

In Griffiths there is a George Saunders Esq. listed as the landlord for four premises in The Manor, Waterford City.  The premises are alongside a R.C school.
Link - http://tinyurl.com/yzjsmtv

Guilcagh C o I cemetery is still in use.  Portlaw Heritage Centre has a blog here:   http://tinyurl.com/6754yyn

Noel

Weldon - Waterford.
Smale, Small - Sussex, Kent.
Treacy - Waterford, U.K, New York. South Africa
Van Eesbeck - Waterford, Limerick, Belgium, U.S
Purcell -  Kilkenny, Waterford
Flood - Waterford.
O'Neill - Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford.
Nicholson - Waterford