Author Topic: Davidson /Bryden deaths help needed  (Read 8141 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Davidson /Bryden deaths help needed
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 October 11 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

This is a basic guide to Scottish naming pattern (there are many links on google if you want to read up more) www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm

If I can give some advice on this area it is simply to use it as a guide before you are able to confirm details elsewhere regarding parents. The notes on the link above are always worth bearing in mind.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Terri Rickert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Jule    ::) ::)

I am not sure if you have found the info you need or may have even given up. I am not even sure if this is the same person you are looking for.

Thomas’s parents:
Robert Davidson born 1924 in Glasgow Scotland  married
Agnus Bryden born 1931 in Muirkirk Scotland and had 5 children all born in Scotland. Thomas the 4th out of the 5 children.

Thomas Bryden Davidson born 25 Jan 1855 in Glasgow Scotland and died 15 Sep 1928 Timaru New Zealand. In 1928 Thomas married Elizabeth Bruce Anderson (born 1859 died 1920)  in 1878 in Oamaru New Zealand.

Thomas & Elizabeth had 4 children all born in Oamara New Zealand.
1. Marion Hepburn  1879- ?
2. Robert Bruce 1881- ?
3. George Bruce 1883-1965
4. John Bruce 1886-1918

George Bruce Davidson born 1883 in Oamara New Zealand died abt 1965 at Lismore New South Wales Australia.Who married Edith Marion Newman 1890-1958) born in Walcha New South Wales Australia died 1958 in Armidale New South Wales. They married in 1914. They had 6 children all born in Armidale New South Wales.

1. George Bruce 1915-1988 died in Armidale NSW
2. Marion Bryden 1916-2009 died in Bondi Beach Sydney, married Richard John Woolnough (1919- 1958 shot himself in Armidale) see below ******
3. John Robert 1919-1958 died in Sydney, 38 years.
4. Jean  1920-2007  died in Avoca Beach Sydney, married Bert Schmitzer 1922-1971
5. Elizabeth “Betty” Grace 1925-1985 married John Herman Price 1914-1988
6. Nancy Kathleen 1926-2005 died in Brisbane Queensland, married a. William Heugh 1923-2002 died in Lismore NSW and b. Edwall Spencer Murray

****Marion was Mother of Peter Richard Woolnough (know as Peter Allen)
If these are the correct people, they are also the relative of Peter Allen who is internationally acclaimed singer, dancer, actor and songwriter. A mini series called "Peter Allen: NOT the Boy Next Door” was released Sept 2015 about his life. There is also a Show called “A Boy from OZ” that is touring (2015) and it was on Broadway. There was a document of the same name produced after he died. He debuted on Broadway in Jan 1971 with “Soon” and then played at the Ritz Theatre. He wrote/released abt 20 songs. And abt the same # of Albums.

His most popular songs are:
I Go to Rio released 1990,
Tenterfield Saddler released 1972 and is about his Grandfather, George Woolnough.
I Still Call Australia Home released 1984. Used by QANTAS (the safest Airline in the World) as their theme song.
I Honestly Love You released 1984.

He married Liza Minnelli in 1967 and they divorced 7 years later.

His long term partner was Gregory Connell and they lived in Leucadia, Encinadas California.

Offline jule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 September 15 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Terri, Yes indeed this is my family and I can't thank you enough for all this information which definitely fills in many gaps in the family puzzle. I am the daughter of Jean Schmitzer, nee Davidson and we were raised to be very proud of our Scottish ancestry so it is marvellous to now be able to share the information you have so kindly uncovered, with the rest of the family. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be privy to the circumstances which motivated the decisions and actions of our ancestors? For example, I'd love to know why a young Thomas Bryden Davidson left Scotland and travelled alone to New Zealand. All these travellers into the unknown were so brave and adventurous!
About Peter Woolnough/Allen… yes he was my cousin and you would not find a funnier, more down to earth, self deprecating and talented fellow. His sister Lyn called her only child, a daughter, Brydon (different spelling) as she loved the family name. So once again many thanks  and cheers Julie
Schmitzer, Newman, Davidson, Bryden , Hoy, Carter, Beck, Lambert, Swinburn(e), Death, Bruce, Frey, Orr, Hoyle

Offline Terri Rickert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 September 15 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jule

Do you live in NSW? Does Lynne still live at Bondi Beach?

Thomas was abt 23 yrs when he moved to New Zealand & it would have been very scary. My Great Grandfather moved by himself  from Wales to London aged 17 years in 1896 then London to New York 2 years later then NY to Massachusetts to California to Hawaii where he stayed. My family (5 kids, 12 years to 5 years) migrated from California to Australia in 1969 and that was scary & a HUGE HUGE cultural shock.
I had a gay cousin who grew up in Hawaii, who was 2 years younger than Peter and Larry died 2 years after Peter. I LOVED my cousin so much, not that I saw much of him after we moved to Australia.

From little I saw I of him I liked him and felt he was strong & had guts. But I am not a person that gawks at celebrities and I hate how the media & rubber necks treat them.
I LOVE Tenterfield.
Why wasn’t there a funeral for Marion? Was she buried near Peter? The sadness that family had  Grace Dewberry BURHAM, her daughter Dorothy Burnham KNEIPP and Richard Woolnough sister Avie WOOLNOUGH, then Richard WOOLNOUGH.

Thanks for your help

Terri xx

Offline Mary Historyfan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 November 19 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I am coming to this conversation late, but I have good news! Robert Davidson was definitely alive in January 1863, because I have a letter he wrote to his daughter Sarah then, from the ship SS Northam, 'about 2200 miles from Gall (Ceylon). He sounds well and jovial ('is your mother still as fat yet?')
I have a bunch of letters between the Davidson family siblings, mainly to Sarah who was working for a dressmaker in Glasgow. Her mum Agnes disapproves severely of her boyfriend, James Lapraik. Luckily, they ignored her, otherwise I wouldn't be here.
They are all keen on schooling, (Jane is 'top of the class'), Tom works for the doctor stirring the potions. They go to church regularly, enjoy a dance, and play the concertina. Sarah goes to a 'Diorama' in Glasgow, I think it's an early cinema.
I hope some of you may see this (even though it is sadly 8 years after your conversation)