Author Topic: Trait of Muckalee Kilkenny  (Read 38676 times)

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trait of Muckalee Kilkenny
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 02 September 12 00:20 BST (UK) »
Seanmac,
Thanks for the photo.
I know Patrick's family; they are very active in Kilkenny.
Ken

Offline sceahlott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 25 July 14 06:49 BST (UK) »
HI Ken, I am researching my husbands trait family, they are descended from Michael Trait and Mary Quinlan who emigrated to Australia, their great grandson Michael Francis Moloney emigrated to New Zealand and is my husbands ancestor. I have been reading all the posts on this forum with much interest!!!
Do you have any info on Michael Traits parents?  I have some conflicting names and cannot find anything online.  Anything else you would like to share would be gratefully accepted. 
many thanks
Leah Hourston

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 25 July 14 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Leah,
Welcome to the Forum. I have a list of the Maloney children, but that line goes no further.
It's many years since I researched the "other Traits", in fact, I'm surprised that I don't have more info on them. Never mind, perhaps you can fill in the gaps.
New Zealand rings a bell. Did Michael Francis marry his 'girl friend' who had followed him to NZ or is that a different one ?
I have listed nine children for Martin Maloney and Bridget Trait, but I don't seem to have followed them up.
'Old' Michael Trait c.1805-1887 arrived at Geelong on 31 March 1852. On his Death Cert. his father's name is Patrick Trait and his mother's is Mary Butler. I don't know how reliable that is.
I believe Michael's brothers were Thomas and Kyren; some of their sons came out too.
Thomas married Bridget Quinlan who I believe was Mary's sister.
You probably know that Michael remarried in Ireland after Mary died, to Margaret Lalor.
They came out with their new born son, Michael jnr. as well as Michael's daughters Catherine & Bridget. His sons Martin & Thomas came later, after first arriving in Brisbane.

You need to post three replies on this forum before you can contact me 'off-line'. Then I can send you my Trait Family History by email, and a family tree by post. I am not allowed to show my email address on the forum.

So, two more posts to go. That shouldn't take long. By the way, do you live in NZ ?
Cheers for now. Ken

Offline sceahlott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 25 July 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the quick reply! yes we are in NZ.  Our Michael Francis Moloney came to NZ with his brother, they married sisters in NZ.  One of Michael's daughters is still living in Invercargill, although she said her parents never really talked about australia or the family there. I am happy to share what I have but probably dont have much that you dont know.  I really like to get photos and stories to bring the family tree to life.
Leah

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 25 July 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, we have plenty of family stories, but not many photos.
I have one though, of Michael's youngest son, Patk. Edw. 1861-1945. He looks Spanish !
(The Traits are supposed to have come from France) His grandson is still living, in his eighties.

I think you have plenty of info that I haven't got, as I never really researched the Maloneys.
Re the young man who did a 'runner' to NZ, I think it was one of the Byrnes (Michael's eldest was Catherine, she married a Ned (Edmund) Byrne, also Irish, of course.)

Cheers, Ken

Offline sceahlott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 26 July 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I noticed that micheal traits grand son michael moloney and his wife margaret nee Daly died at quite a young age - 44 and 35 yrs. do you know what happened to them?
cheers
Leah

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 27 July 14 02:29 BST (UK) »
I have to admit I don't know much about the Maloneys. I can't recall that anyone spoke about them. I only heard of the name when I started on the Trait history, about 30-35 years ago.

I have noted, on a written Trait pedigree, the first generation born in Australia:
Bridget Trait 1831-1890 (or 1909) mar (1) 1852 Martin Maloney 1828-1868, (2) 1870 John Robinson.
Nine Maloney births:
Mary Anne 1852-1941 mar. Wm Gleeson, Martin 1855-1928, Michael 1856-1902, Margt. 1857-1895, Thomas 1858, John 1858-1923 mar. Cath Steele,  Bridget 1861, Edw. 1863-1932, Daniel 1867-68

I didn't know that Michael married Margt Daly. I have heard of the Gleesons, but I can't find anything just now. I have a few sources to look up, but, as I said, I have never done extensive research on the Maloneys. To find out the cause of death you would have to get their Death Certs. from the Victorian Reg. of BDM , Melbourne. They cost at least $25 each. Or you could try online. Google in "BDM Vic".

I suggest you look up a free site for old newspapers, called TROVE. It contains papers from Aust & NZ and you find court cases, some BD & M, accidents, crimes etc. I had a quick look for your Patk Edw.but found nothing. Just google in  "trove newspapers".

Anyway, I'll go through what I've got and let you know if I turn up anything relevant.
Ken

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 27 July 14 06:36 BST (UK) »
Is it Maloney or Moloney ?  I prefer the first one. The other reminds me of the ‘cocktail’.

I have gone through Nellie Lyons’ letters, about 50 pages of them, from around 1999. Nellie married Jack Lyons, a ‘cousin’ of my mother’s. Nellie is also related, her maiden name was Butler. She is descended from Mary Anne Gleeson, nee Maloney. Nellie & Jack are now deceased. I have not tried to put the excerpts in any order. She writes:
“Did you include Frances Gleeson among Mary Ann Moloney’s children ?  Albert was her last child, born 1898 I think”
“I wrote to you last year that Bridget Moloney (/Robinson nee Trait) was buried with her first husband, Martin Moloney at the old cemetery in Ballarat. Martin & Bridget are my Grt Grt Grandparents”
“Buried in the same grave are Martin Moloney, Daniel Maloney, Bridget Robinson, age 73, Thomas Gleeson d.1919, 25 yrs. When I queried her age, they said that’s the age on the computer. Thomas is a younger son of Mary Ann Gleeson nee Moloney”
“Bridget Robinson died 10.2.1890, 73 yrs. In Maloney’s grave E1 21 9R2. From Ballarat Cem. Files
“From Federation Index: Bridget Robinson died 1890, 58 yrs, parents unknown, Warrenheip. This is more the age that Bridget would have been.”
“Martin Maloney’s death cert. puts his age at  40, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was 50. Most of the Traits along with a lot of the others signed their names with an X so it’s reasonable to think they couldn’t add up either !”

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 27 July 14 06:39 BST (UK) »
“Mary Ann (no surname) (1852-1941) mar.1873 William Gleeson (1851-1930) at Geelong Vic. Issue: William 1875, Sarah 1875 lived 4 mths., Bridget 1876-1913, Benjamin died 1862 (my comment- he was born 1886), Mary Anne 1886, Edward 1883, John 1867, Kate 1877 (died 15 years ago ?1984) mar. John Donnelly, Michael 1888. I think there were a couple more boys.”
“Notice Bridget Trait (actually Maloney) married John Robinson as Bridget Trait”
“Maybe the Moloneys may have distanced themselves from the mother (Bridget) when she married an Englishman (Robinson) because that would be one of the worst things you could do at that time. The Irish are a little more tolerant now.”
RE PRESENT DAY MALONEYS: “Yes, that William Moloney must be a son of Mary Anne’s brother. His son in NSW is waiting for his brother to get out of hospital, as Bill’s brother did a family tree but he doesn’t know what he came up with.(from 1999)”
“I think Mary Anne Moloney & W. Gleeson had 10 or more children. Some died in infancy but some in their 20s. They mainly had consumption but some of the boys liked to drink & fight. One was nick-named ‘Firey’ and also Bert, my aunt said they were wild."