Author Topic: Trait of Muckalee Kilkenny  (Read 38679 times)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trait of Muckalee Kilkenny
« Reply #54 on: Friday 01 August 14 21:17 BST (UK) »
Headstone in Glasnevin Cemetery Dublin.
------
erected by Thomas Van Treight of Castlecomer Co Kilkenny in memory of wife-Eleanor
25/12/1846 (21)
child-Catherine; 7/4/1851 (4)
both who are interred in Margee Co Antrim.
also his wife-Sophia Mary; 2/1/1852 (25)
and whose remains are herein deposited.
=========

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 02 August 14 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jack,
I think I have his second marriage, but unfortunately the bride's name was not recorded.
Thomas Van Treight  & xxx  Reg. Dublin Nth. 1850

Also: 
Mar. Catherine Van Treight & Thomas Scott, Diocese of Ossory (Kilkenny) 1762

Baptism- Helena Van Treight  62 Cook St. Dublin, 6.10.1857 (born 29/9) St. Audoen RC
Parents Thomas & Catherine V.T., Sponsors Maria Coonan & Denis Laplin

There are several entries for ‘Van Treight’ in Ireland, but none in England. The name would seem to be Dutch or Flemish, but the spelling ‘Treight’ can only be English. ‘Van Triet’ (pron. ‘treet’) is found in Holland and South Africa, while Triett is noted in England from 1723 to 1826. I believe these names come from the Dutch  “Van’T Riet ” which is an abbreviation of ‘Van Het Riet’ (of the reeds), a locality or occupation name (reed-cutters). It is probably just a coincidence that both Trait and Van Treight were found in Kilkenny about the same time.
But, the fact is, we don't really know for certain if they are related or not.

Offline maxalf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
Quinlans that married Trait are from Graigwood in shankill parish. It is near Castlewarren and Muckalee

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 03 October 14 06:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Maxalf. Glad for any help I can get.
What is the source for that info ? I must say I am doubtful, as our Quinlans came from Ballyvalden, to the east of Kilkenny. At least, Bridget did, who married Michael Trait in 1828 in Paulstown.
Ken

Offline maxalf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 03 October 14 08:44 BST (UK) »
Graigwood is in Ballyvalden............The house that Quinlans lived in is still there.........There are records of Marraiges in Goresbridge/Paulstown records. Quinlans are direct ancestors of mine.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 03 October 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
Here is the relevant entry from my summary:
"Patrick Trait and Mary Butler are given as the parents of our ancestor, Michael, (my 3x Gr. grandfather) who was born about 1805, and who first brought the Trait name to Australia.
Thomas Trait, his brother, married Bridget Quinlan of Ballinvalley in Paulstown on 8.2.1825. Their two sons, Thomas jnr, abt 1826, and Patrick 1832, both came to Australia.
Then Michael married Mary Quinlan (Bridget’s sister ?) in Paulstown on 1.2.1828. She lived in Ballyvalden and there were a number of Quinlans there. (Ballinvalley & Ballyvalden may turn out to be the same place).
The parish priest in 1996 said that the old Quinlan home was still standing. Michael’s name was spelt ‘Treat’ and witnesses were John Byrne and (another) Mary Quinlan. We know of four children born to Michael and Mary-  Catherine 1829-1892, Bridget 1831-1890, Martin 1834-1888, and Thomas 1837-1899."
Ken

Offline maxalf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 03 October 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
Quinlans have died out but have many descendants living locally. Both locations you mention and the families in each were related. I have a tree done for one line.

Offline janeoz123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 20 February 15 02:38 GMT (UK) »
I am helping an older relative who is a descendant of Edward Byrne who married Catherine Trait.
Would appreciate any help on Trait family in Australia.
Thanks.
Jane Cleary

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Trait & Byrne of Kilkenny
« Reply #62 on: Friday 20 February 15 03:20 GMT (UK) »
I don't have a lot about the Byrnes, and I'll have to search a bit to retrieve what I've got.
Michael Trait, his second wife Margaret Lalor, their baby son Michael, and his two daughters from his first marriage, Catherine and Bridget, left in December 1851, and arrived at Port Henry, now called Geelong, on 31 March 1852 on the ‘Cambodia’. On the passenger list, they were listed as ‘Treat’. It was an extremely slow voyage of 112 days.
When they arrived in Geelong, the Traits went to Anaki Hills, where Michael was indentured as a farm labourer to Fred Griffin, a very wealthy landowner. His daughters lost no time and both married within months of arriving. Catherine married her fiancé from home, Ned Byrne, who was also a passenger on the Cambodia, although the real purpose of granting assisted passage to unmarried girls was to provide wives for men already settled here. They had 12 children.
Bridget married Martin Maloney, and nine children were born to them. He died in 1868 and Bridget remarried, to John Robinson.
Regards, Ken