Author Topic: Maughan Westmoreland Pennsylvania  (Read 3137 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Maughan Westmoreland Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 October 11 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

As always appreciate the time and care you take writing your background pieces,  love reading them - always nice to have a picture in your mind of a place, person or whatever, makes it more real.

Started to think we maybe had the wrong family but on looking again, I do remember checking back for a Bedlington. Northumberland  connection at the time of researching and came across the family below, in the registration district of Morpoeth - Sub-Registration District Bedlington in 1881.  That would be just before that October 1881 passenger list with this family on, so hopefully it was the right connection.  The names all seem to match with those found in the USA.

George Maughan aged   53 years.  Mary Maughan aged 50 years.  Robert Maughan aged  16 years John G. Maughan aged 13 years and   William Maughan aged 7 years.

Sandra  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 October 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra: Thanks for the kind words. It's easy to write something when the subject is pretty much in your backyard (back garden, as you say over your way).

I think you have found the right family here. Maughan is not the most common name, making a coincidence unlikely. And the Maughan marriages I found include many of the names here--unto the third generation.;) Of course, Barbara is the only able to verify, and she hasn't come back to look since last week.

I searched for the Maughans on the Castle Garden website but could not find any members of the family who came in 1881.

I also looked on the Elis Island website and found George Maughan, the father. He is age 73 and is  returning from the U.K., May 17, 1900, on the SS Teutonic. There is some confusion because he is a  U.S. citizen but has been put on a list with non-citizen passengers.

On the 1900 U.S. census, taken June 1, 1900, a few weeks after he returned to the U.S., George Maughan is 73 and is a naturalized citizen.

On the Teutonic's passenger manifest, George is said to be going to Pennsylvania, no town. His last residence, which is given as Newcastle, normally would not have been included on the manifest if he had been on a list with other U.S. citizens. But  Newcastle is close enough to Bedlington that we can perhaps assume it's the right George--by George!. (Bad one, I know.)

John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
First i must apologise for the delay in replying - a few personal issues to deal with. I have also spent some time verifying the names  and unfortunately i don't think it was the Robert i was looking for - although i think there is a family connection. There are so many Maughans!!

Sandra you mentioned a link with Carl Robson- he is definately my family - his mother was Ruth Maughan the Aunt of Robert that i am looking for.- do you have information on Carr Robson?

Thanks again for your help and Johnnyboy you information was amazing

Barbara
selby graham cowans skelly vint foster maughan

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 22:03 BST (UK) »
HI Barbara,

Oh that is a pity about Robert. started to suspect that might have been the case.  We would need further details on Robert and his family to try and look again for you.

Just realised I never put the link on reply 7 to show you the Carr Robson thread.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0fql/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada