Author Topic: Online records after 2005  (Read 15108 times)

Offline rose18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Online records after 2005
« on: Monday 10 October 11 00:36 BST (UK) »
So I saw this on the direct gov website:

Viewing full copies of the indexes

You cannot buy copies of the indexes, but complete sets are available to view at:

Manchester City Library
Birmingham Central Library
Bridgend Reference and Information Library
Plymouth Central Library
City of Westminster Archives Centre
London Metropolitan Archives
The British Library*

These locations get regular updates for you to view in person. This is expected to continue until free, online access can be provided.

* Please be aware that customers at the British Library will need to undertake a pre-registration process. Two forms of identification showing a signature and proof of address will be needed to gain entry into this location.

The indexes held in the seven sites listed above include:

'Births, Deaths and Marriages from 1837 to 2009'
'Overseas Index: Births, Deaths and Marriages from 1761 to 2009'
'Civil Partnerships from 2005 to 2010'
'Adoptions from 1927 to 2009'
provisional indexes for 'Births and Deaths from January 2010 to March 2011'

It talks about free online access being provided in the future, but is any work being done towards this?

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Online records after 2005
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 October 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
I don't think is so much a question of work, as the government being persuaded to release the data.  Post 1970's data kept by the GRO is in a digital format, so needs no transcription to put it online, only government approval.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 October 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
Not government aprroval so much as the funds to do it. Due to government financial cutbacks the digitisation project is onhold.

Dawn

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline rose18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 October 11 15:44 BST (UK) »
Not government aprroval so much as the funds to do it. Due to government financial cutbacks the digitisation project is onhold.

Dawn

So is it going to be done in the near future or is it on hold indefinitely?

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 October 11 15:58 BST (UK) »
Well the ill-fate projects Dove and Magpie (and I believe one other bird acronym) are no more

The next stage was awaiting the results of the govt spending review

can't find any recent decision

I have fired off an email asking for an update
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Hammerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 October 11 16:23 BST (UK) »
I think I heard that it's not money but privacy and/or national security reasons why post 2005 records aren't online.

I've used the LMA and Westminster copies but they don't have marriages after 2008 but the births and deaths are updated yearly. I'm sure that the records are on a database somewhere so surely it would be fairly easy and cheap to put them online thus it seems it's privacy or security concerns.
Greensmith - Greasley, Nottinghamshire; Rigley - Nottinghamshire; Wightman - Nottinghamshire; Lee - Nottinghamshire; James - Berkshire (maybe Gloucestershire); Lyons - London; Harrop - Prestbury, Cheshire; Rockett - Middlesex; Chandler - Lambeth, Surrey (maybe Norfolk); Gates - Middlesex; Clark - Islip, Oxfordshire; Richards - Gouldhurst, Kent; Bent - Redbourne, Hertfordshire; Angel - Throwley, Kent; Coker - Middlesex; Bailey - West Lavington, Wiltshire

Offline rose18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 October 11 19:10 BST (UK) »
I think I heard that it's not money but privacy and/or national security reasons why post 2005 records aren't online.

I've used the LMA and Westminster copies but they don't have marriages after 2008 but the births and deaths are updated yearly. I'm sure that the records are on a database somewhere so surely it would be fairly easy and cheap to put them online thus it seems it's privacy or security concerns.

Yeah, births and deaths are updated frequently at LMA and Westminster. I went to LMA recently, they also have marriage records for 2009 now.

Well the ill-fate projects Dove and Magpie (and I believe one other bird acronym) are no more

The next stage was awaiting the results of the govt spending review

can't find any recent decision

I have fired off an email asking for an update

To the GRO?
I remember reading sometime back about some digitalisation project being abandoned and never heard anything again.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 October 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
Births and deaths are updated quarterly and are available on microfiche around the county. June 2011 is now at the archives. The registration service has undergone major changes with the implementation of their new computer system which means that births and deaths are registered and available every 3 months.

Marriages upto then end of 2009 are available on microfiche. Unfortunately the records take much longer to compile as the registration service have to wait for the churches to submit their records.

There are several companies that do have instant access to the death data but they pay a large sum of money for the privilidge, and have to undergo strict vetting before they can have access. These companies use the death data to prevent impersonation of the dead.

Although the GRO has the data, unfortunately it is not easy or cheap to put these records online.

The future of the digitisation project is on hold for the foreseeable future.

Dawn

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 October 11 20:38 BST (UK) »
I am sorry but anyone who thinks the "current" birth, marriage and death indexes are being withheld for privacy or security has been mislead.

The truth of the matter is the indexes were withdrawn when the family records centre closed.
They were supposed to be quickly replaced by an online database but this failed due to incompetence and lack of funds.

The GRO would be acting illegally if they did not provide public access to the latest indexes.

On the brighter side access to the current registers (note registers not indexes) is available free of charge at the local registrars office whenever it is open for business.
The power to charge a fee to search the registers at a registrar's office  having been repealed by the Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Fees) Order 1968, SI 1968/1242, art 4(1), Sch 2.

However if the particular local registrar's is a busy office the current registers may only contain a few months records.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.