Author Topic: Help anyone please!!  (Read 5149 times)

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help anyone please!!
« on: Monday 10 October 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Im posting on here so i hope its the right place to put this thread!
Ive been tracing my ancestors now for a few years and have hit a complete brick wall and im hoping someone may be able to help me please
My surname is McDonald also originally spelt as MacDonald so ive been tracing my 5x Great Grandfather to try and discover where he may of come from,his name was Denis McDonald he married a Cornish lady in 1809 in Newlyn Cornwall on the marriage banns it states Denis MacDonald sojurner but on closer inspection it may say soldier?Im wondering if the first name Denis is of Irish origin?Before the marriage theres no record of Denis in Cornwall and family rumour says he came over from Ireland due to the close proximity to Cornwall,also a Denis McDonald from Dublin has been found with the same age etc as Denis who was a soldier from Dublin,the only thing i have of his is christening spoons passed down from father to son which my Dad has which have the inscription "what we have we hold" written down the handles Not sure what that might mean? Ive been unable to trace Denis at all after the birth of his son and daughter which was in 1812 he either did a bunk or may of been killed at sea,i do apologise for the length of the Thread! im just curious if anyone knows if Denis would be more a Irish surname then say a Scottish one at least then i can say 75 per cent sure he was originally from Ireland when ever a stranger asked me if my Ancestors were Scottish or Irish which has been the case for my Dad whos 70 and me for the last 37 years! Any help or advice would be really really appreciated
 many thanks
  Dunc 

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help anyone please!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 October 11 20:55 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out the Dennis McDonald on the 1841 census?  He was a 69 year old worn out soldier born in Ireland
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 October 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Pejic
Many thanks for reply i have a feeling this is my Great Grandfather but others disagree ive purchased the wedding Banns and like i say it looks like sojourner but also like soldier?all the ages etc match up so im unsure wether to say its him or not the Dennis you mention was born in Dublin and was a soldier im unsure wether tho if Denis is a Irish first name?
 Duncan 

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 October 11 23:09 BST (UK) »
Dennis was both a moderately frequent first name and surname in Ireland.

Have you tried  rootsireland to see how many hits you get for Dennis McDonald between his possible years of birth? Also do the spoons have a hallmark? If it was an Irish one that might firm up the story. It would be worth getting them dated and any info on the motto by a qualified silversmith.

PM

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Pastmagic
Thanks for the tips i hadnt heard of rootsireland website before and hadnt thought of checking so will have a look also i havent checked the spoons for hall marks i definately will do, at least like you say Dennis was used as a First name in Ireland so thats a start!Wish me luck!
  Thanks again
    Dunc

Offline marysma

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sofia--3yrs on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Dunc,

if you post a picture of the marriage cert on here maybe other rootschatters can help you decipher the word "sojurner".Also on www.irishgenealogy.ie there is a Dionysius(which I think is latin for Denis)Mcdonald born 1788 St Andrews Parish,Dublin.RC.If this is your Denis that would make him 21 when he married in 1809.

Regards.
Marysma
Horn/Horne,Johnston,East Lothian
Horn/e, Farquhar,Shanks,Reid,Geddes, Banff and Buckie

Petrie--Moray/Portgordon
Shanks,Moray

Morgan,Peirce,Thomas,Branch,South Wales

Crimmins/Crimin, Ring, Co,Cork.

Flynn-- Dungarvan,Waterford,Ireland.
Christopher, Waterford

Pride and Long ,Newington Bagpath,Glous,England.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 17:09 BST (UK) »
Please remember that you are only allowed to post a small portion of a certificate for deciphering purposes.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there marysma and thank you so much for the reply and info its really appreciated ;)
That info sounds promising as the Dennis McDonald info i have who was a soldier was born about 1772 which would of made him 40 odd at the time of his marriage possible maybe but the Dennis born 1888 is more likely i would of thought,i will take a look at the Irishgeneology site and see if i can find the info you mention is it hard to find? as im not too clever on the old computer!Im hoping my Daughter will be abe to attach the wedding Banns on here as i havent a clue how to do it!Ive reread the Banns today and it is hard to make out but is definately soldier or sojourner i think sojourner means traveller if im not mistaken which would be about right ,sorry for rambling but speaking to a family friend from Ireland(County Carlow) he said there were quite a few McDonalds living there when he was young and that he thought Dennis would of been more likely from Ireland then Scotland as it would of been easier to get to Cornwall from
Once again thanks for your time and help hopefully i can find the info on the irishgeneolgy site fingers crossed!
  kind regards
   Dunc

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi again Marysma!
I did find the info it was easier then i thought thanks again you are a star :)
I will try and get my Daughter to post pic of the Banns over the weekend if she can,i do hope this is the Dennis ive been looking for my Dads been trying to discover where his family originated  from all his life and hes 70 now so id love to be able to solve it for him,just curious does Dionysius turn up in 1841 census at all i wonder?
   kind regards
     Dunc