Author Topic: Help anyone please!!  (Read 5144 times)

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help anyone please!!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 October 11 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All! :)
after spending most of the weekend at my Pals house checking the 1841 and 51 census for Denis and having no joy whatsoever apart from the Dennis aged 69 worn out soldier from Dublin or Dionysius baptised 1788 Dublin. im going to take the bull by the horns and say im 99 per cent sure that the Dionysius kindly found by Marysma is my 5x Great Grandfather unless anyone can find a Dennis on 41 or 51 census for me?Dennis married in 1809 and his wife later remarried an English man called Richards in Cornwall around 1812 it was rumoured that Dennis was working as a sailor by then and was lost at sea so this may be why hes no longer about circa 41 and 51 census,im hoping fingers crossed im right and this is what happened like i say ive been trying to trace him for the last 2 days and only 2 Dennis or Denis McDonalds turn up,interested to hear what anyone else thinks?and p.s im still trying to work out how to put a copy of the wedding banns on here!!
kind regards to all
  Dunc

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 October 11 18:27 BST (UK) »
Have to be a bit cautious for a while, as the irishgeneology.ie site is a work in progress and only covers a few counties to date.

PM

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 October 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Pastmagic
Thanks for your reply really appreciate it,any ideas what i shoukld do next?like i say ive checked A......y And  all the other sites over the last 2 days with the help of me pal ive even tried Googling Dennis McDonald and variants i.e Denis and MacDonald and like i say unless weve missed something theres only 2 with the right time scale that turn up the one whos aged 69 on the 1841 census born Dublin who marries late in life to a Mary Price in Scotland after retireing from the Army who ive been told cant be the same one classed as a sailor by other Roots chatters or the other whos baptised 1788 in St Andrews RC  Church Dublin using the Latin spelling of Dennis who dosent turn up on any other census records i.e 1841 onwards fuelling the notion he died at sea enabling his Wife to remarry an English  man,unless i can find another Dennis on record any ideas what to do id really appreciate any help im at me wits end !! Dunc

Offline marysma

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sofia--3yrs on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 October 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Dunk,

isn't it sooo frustrating when people disappear!!.

I also have looked on A******y for you and cannot see anyone who matches your Dennis.I think the Denis on irishgenealogy is a good bet.I also agree that Denis is a good Irish name.I have done lots of research on my Scots family and have not come across that name in any Scot records(yet  :).

To upload a the certificate to this page you would first have to scan it to your computor.If you can't manage it ask one of your family to help.

Regards.
Marysma
Horn/Horne,Johnston,East Lothian
Horn/e, Farquhar,Shanks,Reid,Geddes, Banff and Buckie

Petrie--Moray/Portgordon
Shanks,Moray

Morgan,Peirce,Thomas,Branch,South Wales

Crimmins/Crimin, Ring, Co,Cork.

Flynn-- Dungarvan,Waterford,Ireland.
Christopher, Waterford

Pride and Long ,Newington Bagpath,Glous,England.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 October 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
Neither Ancestry or IrishGenealogy have records for all parishes, plus it's vital to remember very few Irish parishes have records back as far as the 1700s - so without further clues, such as a definite place of birth or the name of a parent it would be impossible to verify any baptism.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 October 11 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Dunc
Denis is the anglicisation of Dionysius which is Latin/French I believe.

But as Pastmagic says, Denis was a fairly common name in Ireland (I think).
My Co. Cavan Irish have Denis in nearly every generation.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 October 11 17:40 BST (UK) »
Denis was used as an anglicization of the Irish name Donagh/Donncha.

According to Patrick Woulfe, it's also Latinised DONATUS, and the Scots name Duncan comes from it.

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi and a BIG thankyou to Marysma,Shane,Dawn and eadaoin for taking the time out to do the look ups and also the time to send me replies its really good of you and all and i really appreciate your help,this has been a mystery in my family since my Dad was born 70 years ago and as he never knew his Father he had no info at all on his Fathers side so had never known if hes surname was Irish or Scottish i have had the same problem like i say whenever asked where is your surname from?So as a 70 th Birthday present ive been researching like mad trying to get a clue where they were from and so im indetted to all the Roots chatters for theyre help as i wouldnt have any of this info at least now i can show my Dad what people have kindly sent and say its nearly positive that its looking like our McDonalds were from Ireland im sure he will be over the moon and hopefully one day more info may come to light to concrete this,once again thanks for everyones help and i hope to have the wedding Banns on here soon and look forward to seeing what people think it says!
  kindest regards
   Dunc

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all! :)
Hoping this work but here is Wedding Banns
Is it Soldier?Sailor?or Sojourner ???
Like i say his wife remarried in 1812 and on his son John McDonald,s wedding cert it says father Denis McDonald sailor so thats why im assuming Denis was lost at sea?
  Dunc