Author Topic: Policemans collar numbers  (Read 12946 times)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Policemans collar numbers
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 23 October 11 06:24 BST (UK) »
To everyone who has helped me trying to identify the younger policeman, the mystery has been solved. I had assumed that because the younger policeman's photograph was with the older one, ie Andrew Reid, that the younger one was Andrew George Reid, his son, who resembled him.  The Met record office have been extremely helpful and could not locate an Andrew George Reid 543, but they found an Ernest Frank Clark, who joined the force in 1919 at the age of 24, number M543.  Ernest was a butcher, but had served 5 years in the army. I then discovered that he married in 1927 to an Eileen T Jewesson, and when I telephoned the relative who had given me the photographs, she remembered that Ernest was her grandmother's brother.  Of course she never knew him and would not have recognised the photograph, if only someone had written on the back who he was.  She was absolutely delighted to at long last find out who he was.  I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has helped along the way.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 23 October 11 16:26 BST (UK) »
May I suggest Jessie that you write the name on the photo now? With suitable references of course.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 23 October 11 16:54 BST (UK) »
Aw what a good result....just came bck to this thread to see if there was an update...so pleased the Met Office came good for you.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 23 October 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
That's lovely.  I'm delighted to hear that you got to the truth of the story in the end.  And, as you say, it is a lesson for all of us!   Siobhan
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to establish roughly which year this photograph would have been taken.  Can anyone help?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi...You would be better off posting your photo here on the Dating and Restoration board:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,298.0.html

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 14:41 GMT (UK) »
But to help things along I think around 1890.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 14:55 GMT (UK) »
 ::) ::)
Carol

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 14:58 GMT (UK) »
???