Author Topic: William Charles Williams born Welshpool  (Read 2888 times)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Charles Williams born Welshpool
« on: Tuesday 11 October 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace records of my great great grandfather. He was born in Welshpool on 28th August around 1850 +/- 2 years. I can’t find any trace of him until he married my great great grandmother Annie Marshallsay Gibbs, in 1879 in Cardiff, where, his marriage certificates states he was 27( although other records show he should have been 29 at this stage) and that he was born in Welshpool and his father John Williams was a builder. I have traced his life from marriage to death but can’t find anything before 1879 not even a record of his birth. Rumour has it that he emigrated to America as an infant where he married and had twin children who along with his wife all died from cholera he then at some stage came back to the UK before 1879. I have tried all the shipping lists and web sites but cannot find any trace of him.
He might have had a brother called David.

I wondered if anyone on this forum might have any suggestions for where I should check next.
Thanks
Heather ???

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: William Charles Williams born Welshpool
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 20:10 BST (UK) »

I'll give this one a go if I can  :D

My first question is what is your source for his place and date of birth?

Also, can you type all the details from the marriage certificate, including witnesses?

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 11 09:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your offer to help.
William appears on the 1881 Welsh census living in Merthyr Tydfil aged 33 born in Welshpool
He appears on the 1891 Wales census living in Abergavenny with Annie and children and a cousin Edward George born 1846 Montgomeryshire. He is on the 1901 census in Manchester.

His death record shows that when he died in 1929 he was 83 - this would make his birth 1846. In 1901 he was 10 years older than Annie but when they married, he was only 5 years older than her!

His late  son wrote his birthday as 28th August on a list given to my mother many years ago.

The details on the marriage certificate are:
Twentyseventh May 1879 register office Cardiff
William Charles Williams age 27 years   widower Coffee House proprietor
Residence 9 Dudley Street Cardiff
Father John Williams Builder

Annie Marshallsay Gibbs age 22 years   Spinster
Residence 47 Theodora Street Neath
Father John Gibbs  deceased Shoemaker

In the presence of
John Wesley Whitt
Mary Elizth Nicholas

Heather

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 11 15:37 BST (UK) »
This John Williams married to an Ellen in 1871 is a Builder and Bricklayer-RG10/5625/2/3.

The entry on A******* leads to a Tree showing John and Ellen with a son William given as born in 1847.The 1861 entries for a John Williams are very puzzling,they seem to be all out of sync.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 11 15:47 BST (UK) »
This appears to be the family in 1851-HO107/2498/715/40.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 11 17:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks William. It looks like this could be  the family.

Heather

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 October 11 18:03 BST (UK) »
If it is the family it could be very difficult finding a marriage for this John and Ellen Williams,I looked in likely districts like Llanfyllin,Montgomery,Atcham and Shrewsbury but it doesn't show too readily.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire