Author Topic: Thorolds and Fanes  (Read 1029 times)

Offline winstoncunningham

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thorolds and Fanes
« on: Friday 14 October 11 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I have an interest in the Thorold family of Marston Hall/Syston Park and have come across Charles Edward Thorold Fane b.1822, the son of Rev Edward Fane and Maria Hodges. Does anyone know - were the Fanes of Fulbeck linked by marriage to the Thorolds, or was the use of Thorold in Charles Fane's Christian names simply an acknowledgement of another powerful local family?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
WC  :)

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thorolds and Fanes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi WC,

I don't know if this is any help I have looked but did not see any connection to the Fane family but if you put Rev Edward Fane in Google then click on "Full text of Visitation of England and Wales" there is a lot of information of the Fane family etc and if you work your way down the page which I have done there appears to be no connection to the Thorolds :( :( :( :(.But I may be wrong.
There are quite a few sites that have information but no obvious connection.

Kathy

Offline winstoncunningham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thorolds and Fanes
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking a look Kathy!

As you say, there is no obvious link. Fulbeck, Syston and Marston being in the same locality, I have assumed that Charles may have been given the Thorold name as a mark of respect between the two families. Charles was third son and fifth child of ten born to  Rev Edward and Maria.

All the best
 :)