Author Topic: online newspapers 1819?  (Read 7323 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: online newspapers 1819?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 October 11 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

In this case there are surviving coroners papers found in the Middlesex sessions (quarter session - court papers) from the Eastern Division of Middlesex (the reason for their survival is because of the Act of Parliament of 1752 which controlled coroners expenses and the courts wanted the Coroners to submit their records at least in part to support their expense claims).
Though newspaper reports are the way to go for later accounts of inquests, in 1819 the suicide of a working man in Whitechapel will be lucky to get any coverage or just a brief few lines. Local newspapers like the East London Advertiser date from the early 1860s.

Simply email the London Metropolitan Archives (information here on link)

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/Visitor_information/lma_enquiry_team.htm

giving them the exact information - it must include the LMA reference and requesting the cost of photocopying plus post or whether you want an electronic copy and the necessary payment details.

Information from the LMA guide link given previously on what information may be contained in the document held by the LMA.

'The earliest surviving records of inquests held by the coroner for Middlesex came to us not from the coroners’ offices, but as part of the Middlesex Sessions records. Under an Act of Parliament of 1752 coroners were paid expenses from the county rates of 20 shillings for each inquest held plus 9d for every mile travelled to view a body and these records were submitted to the accounts committee of the Middlesex Justices in support of such claims....
Eastern District of Middlesex 1747-1888
Returns of accounts of inquests, made by Coroner to the Clerk of the Peace for Middlesex to claim expenses. These often include formal inquest documents and depositions. 1747, 1777-1838 (with many gaps) – MJ/SP/C/E...
Inquest or inquisition, This is a one page document, giving the verdict, name date, time, cause and place of death with the signatures of the jurors
Depositions are the statements of witnesses to assist in the proceedings of an inquest and may contain more information about the particulars of a death. '

The inquest document will be purely concerned with the manner and possible cause of his death. It will contain absolutely no information (unless relevant to his death such as one of his parents was a witness) of his place of birth or parentage, though it should give his occupation. I doubt modern day coroners records contain any such details unless they are anyway connected to the manner and cause of the death. Inquests have a specific purpose and that purpose dictates the sort of records they produce. Courts are extremely busy and expensive places, as are the costs of recording their business which is only relevant to their procedures.

There is a marriage at St Leonard Shoreditch 23rd August 1770 of a Charles Stanley bachelor of the parish and Elizabeth Fleetwood spinster of the parish by banns. Elizabeth made her mark. Witnesses were John Fleetwood who also made his mark and William Burgess.
Two baptims at St Leonard Shoreditch for the couple
Charles 1771 and Joseph 1775.
The baptisms for Charles Thurston Stanley and Elizabeth begin at St Mary Whitechapel in 1779.
1779 Charles Thurston Stanley
1781 Thomas Thurston Stanley
then baptisms to Charles and Elizabeth Stanley
Sarah 1785
Samuel 1788
Joseph Thurston Stanley 1791

They may or may not be the same couple in both parishes.

There are earlier more interesting baptisms at St Leonard Shoreditch that do have a Stanley/Thurston connection.

13th August 1727
Charles Thurston parents Charles Thurston and Elizabeth Stanley, Holywell Street Hoxton.
Judging by the next two baptisms this entry is confused.

27th April 1726
Susanna Stanley parents Thurston and Elizabeth Stanley, Hoxton

17th August 1729 born 25th July
Josias Stanley parents Thurston and Elizabeth Stanley, Dunkirk Court, father's occupation weaver

There is a Charles Stanley baptism at St Leonard Shoreditch parents Josias and Mary Stanley 8th July 1752 born the same day, parents of Jane Shore Yard. It may or may not be the correct Charles given that Josias had an elder brother also called Charles.

The IGI/Family Search gives this obscure reference which isn't a great deal of help in finding the church.

Thurston Stanley    
Elisabeth Crosley    
24 October 1725 London

Nothing for Josias' marriage though.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 14:35 BST (UK) »
I struck a little lucky when I found there was an inquest on an ancestor who died 1821

Idid not find the inquest but a death report that said he had fallen off his horse.

This was in the Manchester Guardian.As has been said there was not so much local news so you have to be lucky

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline kellysmith1976

• RootsChat Member
  • Loads of love Kelly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 October 11 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have emailed them and ive yet to hear back from them... hopefully the records will hold some more info...

I was looking into this family more, and it turns out that Charles' Wife Elizabeth died in the Jan 1819, So maybe he 'lost' his mind because of his wifes death??

ELLMER - Yorkshire to Strood, Kent
ROGERS - Rochester, Kent
CARDER - Rye to Rochester, Kent
KEMP - Hawkhurst - Rochester, Kent
THOMAS - Chatham, Kent
RHODES - Rye
WOOLLEY - Milton to Rochester
STANLEY - Whitechapel
LOUGHAN - Ireland
BURNET - Essex
SWEATMAN - Kent
BECK - Chatham
BLACK - Rochester
WICKER - Strood
KING - Middlesex - Strood
CROUCH - Headcorn
HICKMOTT - Lamberhurst
BATES - Strood
WELFARE - Sussex - Strood

Offline kellysmith1976

• RootsChat Member
  • Loads of love Kelly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Just to let you all know, I have heard from the LMA and they have said they have his records, Although they are not sure whether they will be up to copying, so im keeping my fingers crossed, I have paid my money, and its just a waiting game now!...
Thanks again everyone who helped!
ROGERS - Rochester, Kent
THOMAS - Chatham, Kent
RHODES - Rye
STANLEY - Whitechapel
LOUGHAN - Ireland
BURNET - Essex
SWEATMAN - Kent
BECK - Chatham
BLACK - Rochester
WICKER - Strood
CROUCH - Headcorn
HICKMOTT - Lamberhurst
BATES - Strood

Offline kellysmith1976

• RootsChat Member
  • Loads of love Kelly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 November 11 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Well this morning i received the Inquest into his death, And It didnt tell me any new info, but it was very interesting reading, especially as all 12 Jurors and the coroner had signed it!..
And the language they used was really interesting!

So thank you to everyone who helped!...

Translation of Inquest:

An Inquisition Indented, Taken from our Sovereign Lord the King, At the London Hospital in the parish of Saint Mary Whitechapel In the county of Middlesex, The third day of May in the fifty ninth year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the Third,
 By the grace of god of the united Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland king, Defender of the faith and so forth before John Wright Unwin esquire, one of the coroners of our said lord the king for the said country ,
On view of the body of Charles Thurston Stanley, then and there lying dead, upon the oath of the several persons whose names are hereunder written and seals affixed, good and lawful men of the said country, duly chosen and who being then and there duly sworn and charged to inquire for our said lord the king, when how and by what means the said Charles Thurston Stanley came to his death, do, upon their oath, say that on the twenty eighth day of April last, the said Charles Thurston Stanley not being of sound mind memory, and understanding, but lunatic and distracted At the Parish of Christ Church In the county of the aforesaid, With a certain Knife made of Iron and Steel which the said Charles Thurston Stanley then and there had and held it in his right hand in and upon the abdomen of him, the said Charles Thurston Stanley did then and there strike and stab and puncture thereby then and there giving himself with the knife aforesaid mortal wound, the breadth of one inch, and the depth of two inches of which the said mortal wound he the said Charles Thurston Stanley of the parish of Christchurch aforesaid and also the parish of saint Mary whitechapel aforesaid and the county aforesaid did languish and languishing did live for three days and then and there of the mortal wound aforesaid did die.
And the said Jurors aforesaid, upon the oath aforesaid, do say the said Charles Thurston Stanley being lunatic and distracted, in manner and by means aforesaid himself did kill and slay.
In Witness whereof, as well the said coroner as the said Francis Henby, The foreman of the said jurors and the rest of the said fellows, have to this inquisition set their hands and seals this day, this year, and place first above written
Signed by:
John W Unwin - Coroner
Francis Henbry
Isaac Ruff
Thos Beckett
John Lange
Wm Hamfon (sp?)
Henry Meyer
James Curtis
Thos Dumril
M Abbot
James Brooke
Jno Partridge
John Routledge
ROGERS - Rochester, Kent
THOMAS - Chatham, Kent
RHODES - Rye
STANLEY - Whitechapel
LOUGHAN - Ireland
BURNET - Essex
SWEATMAN - Kent
BECK - Chatham
BLACK - Rochester
WICKER - Strood
CROUCH - Headcorn
HICKMOTT - Lamberhurst
BATES - Strood

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 November 11 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Great Document, thanks for sharing it with us.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline keithwilson69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Obsessed - who me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 August 13 15:11 BST (UK) »
Great big hi to Kelly Smith,
Many thanks for the post on the inquest into the death of CTS. It added a lot of interest to my tree.
We must be related via my great grandfather Edwin Thurston Stanley (1838-1902) who had 16 children 9 of which survived to adulthood. My grandmother was Ada Stanley (1881-1969) born in Bethnal Green of course! 8) 8)
Interests:-
(Thurston) Stanley, london
Wilson, bolton lancs
Pollit, yorkshire
Erhorn, Germany and Canada

Offline scone

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 August 13 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for sharing that I found it very interesting.  You must be very pleased with all that's been found out.
Gardiner, Tyler, Tanner, Davis, Jeffries - Bisley/Chalford
Hawkins - Stroud
Hale - Brimscombe
Clayton, Rixon, Ovenden, Hayles - Middlesex
Scriven, Carpenter, Hayward, Ricketts, Greenaway - Wiltshire

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you for sharing this.  :)