Author Topic: Vaughans of Cemmaes  (Read 2583 times)

Offline trimochyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vaughans of Cemmaes
« on: Friday 14 October 11 15:28 BST (UK) »
Does anybody have any information about the Vaughans of Cemmaes - specifically of 'Nant y Cemes' or Nant y Cemmaes?'

An Elizabeth Vaughan, 'heiress' of Cemmaes, married a Richard Horne of Hendre Fawr, Abergele, Denbighshire, daughter of 'Captain Vaughan of Cemmaes,' some time in the first half of the 18th Century. The marriage produced a Richard Horne (abt 1761-1835), who married Mary Hunt (abt 1770-1832) and had, among other children, James Vaughan Horne, solicitor of Denbigh. There's a reference here: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-ywLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA205&lpg=PA205&dq=hendre+abergele+horne&source=bl&ots=0RDAOtj7rv&sig=OkbcgB5RGKvQzG6UfCcNlgid4Ko&hl=en&ei=r0aYTvzgL8HE8QO2gN3sBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=hendre%20abergele%20horne&f=false

I have a scribbled Victorian note linking Elizabeth Vaughan with this Vaughan: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=willperf&id=I039401. And an inscription from a monument (in an unknown church):

Here lyeth the body of
Elinor wife of Robert
Vaughan of Nant y Cemes
gent: She departed this life the 19th March in
the 63rd year of her age and buried here in the
Year of Our Lorde 1756

I've no idea, though, if there is anything to these theories - it might be a case of wishful thinking...

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vaughans of Cemmaes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 11 19:53 BST (UK) »
There's a will for an Ellin Vaughan of Nant y Camas dated 1757 online at the NLW

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

It's her personal estate that is dealt with. Money to her young grand daughter Elizabeth, son Robert got a silver tankard, & the rest divided between her 2 daughters, Mary & Margaret, "free from any intermedling of their husbands".

Her husband's will from 1756 shows him as Richard Vaughan of Nant y Cemes. Daughter Mary is the wife of David Davies,  & Margaret's surname is Burchinshaw.

The Vaughans on your link are in Anglesey & Merionethshire, but Nant y Cemes looks to have been in the parish of Llangernyw in Denbighshire.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Llangernyw/index.html
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline trimochyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 11 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Osprey.

Very interesting. I wonder if the tombstone is just a red herring. Contemporaries seemed pretty convinced by the Cemmaes (Montgomeryshire) connection, but in the Victorian conjecture, Llangernyw does figure, though much further up the tree (a Richard ap Llywelyn Vychan, rector of Llangernew, 1529-1551.

Elizabeth Vaughan of Cemmaes dies - I think - around 1768, but the Elizabeth in the will of 1757 is an infant, so it's not her.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 11 09:54 BST (UK) »
you can search the NLW wills using just the surname & parish which might get you something useful.

Does the online tree provide a source for the inscription? If not, I might be inclined to disregard it....

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline trimochyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 October 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
The inscription was just scribbled on the back of a bit of paper with other inscriptions - from the 1880s, I think. There's a partial family tree - also from around then - scribbled in pencil that ties in with the online tree tracing descent from Mary of Kynaston (she's not mentioned) and the Vaughans of Llangernyw (a rector there in the 1500s). This has obviously been a well-known pedigree for a long time and so I'm inclined to be sceptical, but you never know...

Meanwhile I've found Elizabeth Horne of Cemmaes' will at the National Archive - it's on order, so there might be more answers there. It also says 'Cemmaes' and not 'Nant-y-Cemes.'

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 October 11 10:50 BST (UK) »
if it's at the National Archives, does it not allow you to download it for £3.50?

The problem with spelling until relatively recently is that names are recorded as clerks/registrars recorded them, so there can be variants.

:-\