Author Topic: Heir Hunters prime time  (Read 29486 times)

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Heir Hunters prime time
« Reply #63 on: Friday 25 November 11 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like everything worth something in general terms is sold off and added to the total monetary value of the estate.  Still not too sure what happens to other personal valuables like photo albums, documents, stamp collections, etc.  If the heirs themselves aren't interested they could surely be passed on to local archives or something?

Just watched yesterday's programme - IIRC Neil said that personal items such as photos were given to the family. If there's a large number of heirs that could be interesting!

I have to admit that as I recorded this (as most other TV I watch) I've skipped/fast-forwarded the bits I remember & watched the new material.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 25 November 11 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm still enjoying the series, really really good.  I agree that Lisa, the presenter, seems to be genuinely interested in the subject matter. 

Lisa's lovely.  My wife and I were particularly struck with her when she was on Celebrity Masterchef last year, and when she started she was so flustered she got into a complete mess.  However, she stuck with it, and ended up winning it.  She's also appearing in next week's "Death In Paradise" on BBC1 next Tuesday (29th) at 9:00PM.  It will be nice to see her in an acting role again.

Back on topic, I enjoyed Neils explanations of how an estate is settled, but I'd still like to know how disputes on low-value items would be settled.  Maybe heir hunters don't get involved with that - I can understand why they wouldn't  :)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 25 November 11 16:39 GMT (UK) »
This series re-visits stories covered in past episodes, when there have been developments since the episode was first aired. 

As stated previously, there is a brand new series 'in the can' which Heir Hunters TV say will be aired early in 2012.

As far as the music goes, it is by an established musician, and I quite liked it at first, but you can have too much of a good thing  :)

Thanks for the explanation Nick.  Established or not, the music drives me nuts!  I wish I had a button that wipes out background sounds and not only this programme either!
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 25 November 11 16:59 GMT (UK) »
The writer of the music was Daniel Mulhern, who has written music for quite a few TV programmes.  I don't think it's so much a problem with the music - it's a problem with the repetitive mixing of the same clips over and over again  :)

http://www.synclinks.co.uk/composer-detail/_/8/daniel-mulhern/credits

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 25 November 11 17:09 GMT (UK) »
  I don't think it's so much a problem with the music - it's a problem with the repetitive mixing of the same clips over and over again  :)

Absoloodle!  ;D
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 25 November 11 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I've just seen this thread, belated congratulations Neil  :)

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but I'd love to know if any one of the names from the Bona Vacantia lists featured on the programmes has ever been solved and heirs found.
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 25 November 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes I wondered that too,and also are more people making wills now Lisa Faulkener has told them to do so  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 25 November 11 21:49 GMT (UK) »

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but I'd love to know if any one of the names from the Bona Vacantia lists featured on the programmes has ever been solved and heirs found.

Yes! That's something I'd be interested to know - another is what the travelling researchers do on Monday - Wednesday (presumably they spend Friday lying down in a dark room ;D)
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 26 November 11 11:01 GMT (UK) »
I think they have a party on Fridays (only joking, Neil !)  ;D

I was watching last night's programme, and I had a real shock - David Pacifico actually broke into a grin !  :o  :D

Best Wishes,  Nick.