Author Topic: Heir Hunters prime time  (Read 29483 times)

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Heir Hunters prime time
« Reply #81 on: Monday 28 November 11 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I am finding this one hour show is so much better than the half hour shows. Not only is there more content but the info about what you have to do if you find you are connected to one of the names given out was very informative.

I found it interesting to that anyone adopted into a family would be regarded as being a 'blood' relative so could be in for part of an inheritance I always thought you had to be mentioned in a will or you would be totally ignored. 

Love the extra bits of info such as Donald Foster's war records last week.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Eking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 28 November 11 18:20 GMT (UK) »

Also, without checking on i-player, didn't the advice on the order in intestacy go from spouse to parents & omit children, though they got a mention later?

Hi - our order of intestacy did include children in the voice over...

I just came on here to post same as  author=mshrmh. I thought it was very misleading with the graphic not including children as well.  I need to re-watch it but I think they only mentioned children when started talking about adopted.
I hope this is corrected in a later episode/series.

Still  it might make more people make a will if they think their sibling may get their assets as opposed to their children. 

Offline FraserandFraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Neil Fraser of Fraser and Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
quick reply to all the questions as I have several new cases on and it is only Tuesday!

Some of the guys on the road are part time, but most are working all the time on different cases, what Heir Hunters has concentrated on is BV cases, the next series we film will have a lot more of the none BV cases as the list is not as good as it once was. Ewart is currently in Jamaica and will be for the next 2 weeks (yes it is a work trip)

As far as I know only 2 cases from the program have been solved as a result of info coming in. One was in series 1 when a case appears to have never been worked, it was fairly easy to solve all the info did was get us to have a look at it. the 2nd case was one we have always called the skeleton case, I cant remember the name now but it was in series 2 and 3 I think and was about a skeleton that was found in a burnt out building  and had been there for several years, we got info that enabled us to prove the case, with out this the case may never have been solved.

I would like to do more on the appeal section of the program, give a better explanation and reason why the case is unsolved, at the moment the BBC just like putting more names out, how ever the new appeal section with Lisa and a little more research is going down well. so I hope in series 7 they may listen to me!

It can be very hard if there are lots of heirs to give out personal items when more than 1 person wants them so far we have not had a huge amount of arguments about any thing and usually just split the items to be shared out.
Most of the items we do recover however are of such poor quality and low value that not many people want them. Expensive jewellery is hardly ever found by us, remember that in most cases it takes 12 months before we get the property and in some cases you never know who has had there grubby hands on the estate. (I am sorry but that is just a fact of life so doesn't need much discussion, if cases got to us quicker we could protect the estate far more, TSol are doing there best to protect the estate but it takes several months to come to them and they are not the bad guys)

Sorry not going to give away all the trade secrets! "More info on the sources used, eg. directories and stuff" but will do my best to explain a little more.

Neil

and why has no one asked for more of me on screen!

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 10:52 GMT (UK) »

LOL  ;D  We're all too shy Neil, we wouldn't like to scare you off  ;)
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 12:30 GMT (UK) »

LOL  ;D  We're all too shy Neil, we wouldn't like to scare you off  ;)

;D ;D ;D  I thought you were on last nights programme for quite a while chatting with Lisa about regional surnames, which was interesting.   That's what I love about Heirhunters.....the variety of information and good mix of stories.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Did anyone see the 'gaffe' on last night's show ?  One of Fraser and Fraser's researchers was shown driving away, with his car number plate carefully blurred out, and in the very next scene he's shown arriving at another location with the plate in full view !  :o

Ooops !  :D
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I saw that too Nick.
Someone in the continuity dept is in trouble.

A first for me last night - a name on the unsolved cases list of someone I knew. Unfortunately not a relative, so no money heading my way, but a bit of a "Hang on!! Rewind" moment!  :o

Offline Heir Hunters tv

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Did anyone see the 'gaffe' on last night's show ?  One of Fraser and Fraser's researchers was shown driving away, with his car number plate carefully blurred out, and in the very next scene he's shown arriving at another location with the plate in full view !  :o

Ooops !  :D

Thanks for that the 'gaffe' was in fact that it was blurred
 we don't blur Fraser's number plates it was an over enthusiastic editor....
(we have on occasion blurred random passing cars).

No one will be fired...

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that  :)

I thought maybe the plates were blurred to stop the competition following Fraser & Fraser's researchers around  ;)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk