Author Topic: Mary Ann CARMODY from Kilmaley Clare Ireland  (Read 14048 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mary Ann CARMODY from Kilmaley Clare Ireland
« on: Wednesday 18 March 09 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping to find shipping records for Mary Ann Carmody bC1838 Kilmaley Co Clare.
She married William Halliwell by licence at Christ Church Geelong 3 Mar 1857 William Halliwell.
Her parents were Patrick Carmody and Elizabeth Boland.

As their first children were born Chilwell and Geelong I am wondering if she arrived Corio Bay.
I have not been able to find her on the regular migration records.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann CARMODY from Kilmaley Clare Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Co. Clare Carmody entries from Slaters Commercial Directory of 1846 : 

Ennis

Carmody's Hotel (& excise office), Michael Carmody, Church st

Michael Carmody, Church st, Ennis - Livery Stables

Kilrush

Patrick Carmody, Pound lane - Carpenter.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane.
I will need to check further on this.
Patrick Carmody father of Mary Ann was said to be a farmer.
Appreciated
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline dundeemayer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 09 00:00 BST (UK) »
I have traced my Carmody relatives in Kilmaley back to 1823.  Do you know if Mary Ann Carmody had any siblings that stayed in Kilmaley?  My grandmother was born Ellen Carmody in 1897, died in 1987.  My great grandparents were John Carmody (1861 to 1925) and Mary O'Neill (1861 to 1921).  My great, great grandparents were Thomas Carmody (1823 to 1877) and Hanora Kennedy (1831 to ?). 

John Carmody was an only child to Thomas and Hanora.  There are other Carmody's in Kilmaley as well.  My family is from the town of Connolly, in the Parish of Kilmaley.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 May 09 04:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you dundeemayer and welcome to RootsChat.
I will refer your Carmody information to my friend who is searching for her Carmody relatives from Kilmaley.
I do hope that we can make a connection.

Best wishes
Rex

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 May 09 04:57 BST (UK) »
I assume you have checked out the 3 assisted passage Mary Carmody entries one arriving 1855 and two in 1854?

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 May 09 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I don't have very much information for my Carmody Ancestors - this is what I know.

Mary Ann Carmody was my gggrandmother, she was born abt.1838 Kilmaley County Clare Ireland. She immigrated to Australia prior to her marriage to William Halliwell in 1857.
Unfortunately I have not been able to find her on any shipping records. I don't know if she came on her own or with any family.

Searching on the Victorian BMD Index, I have not found her parents or any siblings. So I presume she came on her own - perhaps an orphan of the Famine. 

As you can see from Lazarus post - her parents were Patrick Carmody (Farmer) and Elizabeth Boland.  I know nothing further of her parents, siblings or others - unfortunately.

I have almost given up any hope of tracing my Carmody line back into Ireland.

Would appreciate any help you are able to give me.

What records are available for Kilmaley?.

EDIT - Thanks Lazarus - I must have been trying to post the same time as you. LOL.

Judith - No I haven't checked those two (at least I don't think so) - where can I find them - what ships?.
Kind Regards
Sarra in OZ

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 May 09 05:11 BST (UK) »
Sarra
I hope that there is something there for you.Please keep us informed.
Rex

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 May 09 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
Search the index for Victorian assisted immigration records.  One of the 1844 people is aged 44 so I guess it is not likely her.  I just used Carmody Mary for the search, left out 'Ann'.

http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=24

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk