Author Topic: Great House Farm Pendine - Rees/james  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Aegira

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great House Farm Pendine - Rees/james
« on: Saturday 15 October 11 11:01 BST (UK) »
G'day  :)
New to the site, so jumping right in...
I've been wandering through ancestry.com and have arrived at a stumbling block with Sarah James (married John Rees) I'm trying to find info on her parents.
I have to say the names can be confusing if I find one more Lewis Greenslade in the family tree I'll scream  ::) seriously why couldn't they think outside of the box name wise, lol.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great House Farm Pendine - Rees/james
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 October 11 12:24 BST (UK) »
welcome to RC!!

we will need a little more info on Sarah: date and place of birth if only county!
marriage date /place would help and nay other info you already have - children? census?

Diddy  ;D
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Aegira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Diddy and thanks,

Sarah James 1755 to 1843 , Carmarthenshire, Wales
Married 29 JUL 1774
John Rees 1748 to 1832

From what I can find it seems her parents lived at Great House Farm Pendine
They were William James and Margaret Lloyd no clue on dates for them, which is a pain as I can't seem to progress past Sarah and John

:)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 October 11 12:59 BST (UK) »
I see you have accessed the tree on A* which gives sarahs parents as William James & Margaret Lloyd. there are dates given for them. have you tried contacting the tree owner?

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 October 11 14:47 BST (UK) »

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 October 11 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi - have Sarah James I my treE - very distant (Sarah James. (1755 - 1843) relationship to me: 3rd great grandmother of husband of 3rd cousin 1x removed).

Not done a lot on her but have father Wiliam James 1719-1803 and mother Margaret Lloyd 1722-1806.  Margaret Lloyd I have as the daughter of Hugh Lloyd and Prudence.

I did post on here a while back about the history of Great House .http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,439778.0.html

Offline Aegira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 October 11 00:31 BST (UK) »
A huge thank you to everyone who responded,
I truly appreciate the help and warm welcome.

Crunwere: I have now found Hugh Lloyd and his wife was Prudence Prichard - trail goes a little cold after this but will keep looking

Diddymiller: Thanks for the tip I didn't even think about "contacting" the tree owner  ::)
Can you tell I'm new to this family tree  hunting  ;)

Have an awesome week everyone ;D

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 11 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a direct link to Hugh and Prudence Lloyd - my 5xGGrandparents. I also have a direct link to William James - my GGGrandmother married his grandson.

Where did you get the information that Hugh Lloyd's wife Prudence was a Prichard? I have looked for many years and failed to find that information. Most of the information about Prudence and her family comes from "The Antiquities of Laugharne, Pendine, and their Neighbourhoods" by Mary Curtis and it is not all correct.
I found the link between Prudence and Hugh Lloyd, and I am not 100% sure it is right, just that they christened a child in Laugharne Parish. I cannot find a marriage, which would have been c1710 in the Laugharne area, where they lived as so many parish records of that time are missing. Most of what I have has come from Wills. Once it gets on the internet people just copy to their tree without really checking if it is right.

Which child of John and Sarah is your link? I might have some information on the James family, but I haven't really researched them, only the Lloyd side.

I think the James family were wealthy at that time as William James (1719 - 1803) left a number of properties  and land to various of his children, including Great House to his daughter Sarah and her husband. All that is left of the great house is the large pillars at the entrance in the photo, a bit out of keeping with the rest of the house.

Happy hunting