Author Topic: Death certificate details  (Read 6735 times)

Offline oakhambred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificate details
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 18:58 GMT (UK) »
There is a Joseph Bailey b 7/7/1881 in Ashwell R.S.D Rutland and later living in Ashwell with his grandmother Sarah in 1891 and 1901 census. 
His mother was mary Bailey, daughter of sarah was unmarried.   Also another grandson staying or living there George William Bailey B1888 Basford Notts. 
Mother Fanny Bailey.  I have found tree for George William  1888 but no further mention of Joseph.  Or Joe as he was called. 

julie

Underwood/Bailey/orridge   Rutland /Leicestershire
Hurrell/Dennis  Berkshire/London/suffolk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 November 11 10:15 GMT (UK) »
There aren't many Bailey events shown in the early 20th century parish registers of St Andrew, Whissendene, apart from the baptisms of two sons born to Edith Matilda Bailey, and the burial of one of them.  (The children born to Edith Matilda and Albert Joseph Underwood were also baptised there.)

However, Eliza Bailey aged 64 was buried there on 28 March 1929, and George William Bloodworth* Bailey aged 69 was buried there on 11 June 1931.

*Yes, that name does tend to throw a bit of a spanner into the works.  However the George Bailey that Larkspur traced for you through the censuses, born c1862 in Wymondham is recorded as George W B Bailey on the 1881 census.

It is a bit of a chance, but it is possible that Edith Matilda or her husband might have been the informant on one or other of the death certificates of George and Eliza.  Also, if you can track down a death announcement in a local newspaper it may include names of surviving relatives.

A Joseph Bailey married Emma A W Bollands in Oakham district in 1919 (but not at Whissendine.)

Five children of Joseph Bailey and Emma Annie Waddingham Bailey were baptised at Wissendine.

A daughter of Peter Greasley and Alice was baptised at Whissendine 2 March 1919.  (The GRO index gives the child's mother's maiden name as Elson, but I can't see a marriage)

Peter Greasley aged 62 died in Oakham district in 1952 (so born c1890)

I don't suppose Edith Matilda's granddaughter knows which date she celebrated her birthday on?  It might match the date on Edith Matilda Greasley's birth certificate.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 November 11 10:58 GMT (UK) »
From the Leicester Chronicle and Mercury

Melton Mowbray Petty sessions
Tues Oct 22 1867
Joseph Bailey Labourer Melton Mowbray, was charged by Arthur Latimer Wing, a boy of the same place, with assaulting him by throwing a stone at him on the 16th inst- fined 5s and costs of 8s 6d or 14 days imprisonment- the money was paid.

Justice was HARSH in those days!!
There are also 2 instances involving a Thomas Bailey of MM, but Iam not sure if he is connected to you?
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline oakhambred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 November 11 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
Unfortuantely Joe Bailey is not shown in the St.Andrews baptisms in Whissendine.   Emma Ann  Waddingham was also  Baptised at Whissendine as Emily A W Bollands.   Have asked grandaughter if any knowledge of death cert but no reply.  Good idea regarding birthday celebrations.   Sadly grandaughter had no Knowledge of my grandad as her first half Cousin , which makes me think he was not brought up by Edith.  Also the other son Arthur Aiden Joseph buried in whissendine seems an  unusual name (Aiden).

Thank you lackspur.  There must be a connection between these families somewhere.

Julie :)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 November 11 12:24 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that Joseph Bailey who married Emma A W Bollands is the son of George William and Eliza, and if he is, he shouldn't show up as baptised at Whissendine, because he was born in Garthorpe, Leicestershire.

George and Eliza's son is aged 3 in 1901 and 14 in 1911, so born c1897. 

Joseph Bailey aged 65 died in Oakham district in 1963.

I'm sorry I've probably made it look rather confusing, but what I think you have is:

Eliza Greasley is mother of Peter born in 1890, and Edith Matilda born in 1893.

Eliza marries George William Bailey in 1894 and has two more children, Joseph in 1897 and Maurice in 1900.

The whole family, including Peter and Edith Matilda (named as Peter and Matilda Bailey)are living in Garthorpe in 1901. 

George, Eliza, Joseph and Maurice are together in Garthorpe in 1911.
(Peter, now using the surname Greasley is in Kettering, sharing an address with Alice Elson).

I can't find Edith Matilda in 1911   :( .

Edith Matilda has two children baptised in Whissendine, then marries Albert Underwood and has further children baptised there.

Joseph Bailey marries Emma A W Bollands and has children baptised in Whissendine. (That marriage certificate might be interesting).

Peter Greasley has a child baptised in Whissendine.

Eliza Bailey and George William Bailey are buried at Whissendine.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oakhambred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 November 11 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I have birth Cert for Joe bailey 1881 who's mother is mary Bailey.  So they can't be the same Joseph.   Edith matilda Greasleys possible marriage would show if they are the same person.   All so confusing.  i am reluctant to order marriage cert, getting expensive.

Thankyou for help.

julie

Offline oakhambred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 06 November 11 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Looking at the name of the child Peter Greasley baptised in Whissendine in 1918 has triggered a memory.   I have been told my grandadad had a cousin called phyllis which is also the name of Peters daughter.  I am trying not to get too hopeful about this but i am wondering if Edith could be a greasley after all, then taking the name Bailey from her stepdad.  I have searched for further info on Phyllis but can find nothing on Ancestry other than a private tree.   Frustrating or what.   :P   Hoping to recieve a response from tree owner. 

Although it does name Edith as Matilda Bailey in the Census. 

Fingers crossed ;D