Author Topic: Did Edith M Snook OR Guthro sail to Canada in 1914?  (Read 4494 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Did Edith M Snook OR Guthro sail to Canada in 1914?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 October 11 13:25 BST (UK) »

I found the outgoing UK passenger list for the voyage of the Corinthian which Sandra referenced and it indicates Miss E. Snook was 26 at the time which would be a birth year of about 1887.

Jacquie

Hi Jackie,

Went back to look at this anc version passenger list and I still cannot see an age for Edith Snook - all it said was "A" 
Have you found it elsewhere ? Just curious.am I missing something   ;D

Thanks
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 October 11 14:44 BST (UK) »
www.canada411.ca
has only 8 Tresidder's listed for British Columbia.
Most have mailing addresses so may be worth sending off a few letters to see if anyone knows details about the Edith Snook that was married to George Tresidder.

You can view the original passenger lists (not transcriptions) at Library and Archives Canada database under Passenger Lists. If you know the date and name of ship, you can scroll through the pages and ages are normally given.

Another option would be to contact the Vancouver Public Library as I think they have a genealogy section and they may have access to obituaries etc that aren't available on-line. William Archibald Guthro was originally from Nanaimo so may be buried there and the transcriptions aren't available on-line. I also couldn't find any Tresidder's buried at Mountain View Cemetery in Vancouver. With the dates of death, obituaries may be available in the newspaper archives.

Birth information for 1916 and 1919 isn't yet available as most provinces use the 100 year rule for births. Doing a search for wedding announcements may be a source to use.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 October 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
I found the outgoing UK passenger list for the voyage of the Corinthian which Sandra referenced and it indicates Miss E. Snook was 26 at the time which would be a birth year of about 1887.

Jacquie

Hi Jackie,

Went back to look at this anc version passenger list and I still cannot see an age for Edith Snook - all it said was "A" 
Have you found it elsewhere ? Just curious.am I missing something   ;D

The outgoing UK passenger list database is at Find My Past.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 October 11 21:48 BST (UK) »
It was just curiousity Jackie - because I can't see an age listed on the 2 versions I have looked at.
The age column is blank and the next column it looks like an "A"

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0fq6/

Sorry
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 October 11 21:50 BST (UK) »
The date of birth for Edith is approximate as we cannot get an exact birth in the 1870´s as the registration of births in other countries was not made compulsory until much later.

Are there birth dates for Joe Guthro born 1916 and  Bernice Guthro born 1919?

That would help in making the search more accurate. :)

The census entries for Edith were pretty consistent from 1891 to 1911 giving a birth year of 1881 and she did have a younger brother whose birth was registered in England in 1885 so unless she lied about her age the Edith born in 1887 on the Corinthian would appear to be a different one.

Do you know where Joe and Bernice were born? As Sandra mentioned, there is no central register for BMD events and privacy laws regarding registrations vary from province to province. If they were born in BC, births up to 1903 are currently available however they changed the law a few years ago so births from less than 120 years are now protected so it will be many, many years before they are available.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 October 11 21:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree the census have her as born 1881 but the Corinthian Passenger List for 1913 on anc and Library and Archives Canada database does not have an age for Emma  (just "A"- so she is still a possibility.

Sandra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 October 11 22:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree the census have her as born 1881 but the Corinthian Passenger List for 1913 on anc and Library and Archives Canada database does not have an age for Emma - so she is still a possibility.

The Edith on the outgoing UK passenger list is the same person as on the incoming Canadian passenger list. The outgoing passenger list is a British document for the same voyage of the Corinthian as the incoming Canadian document.

As well, I just compared the ticket numbers on the incoming Canadian passenger list entry for Edith Snook and the outgoing UK passenger list for Miss E. Snook and they are both 1294.

Jacquie

Offline Muffin41

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help which helps with my research :D :D

I have found the links very helpful 8)

Edith Snook  have three brothers - two born with her in Togal Portugal and one later in Engand. I have found much detail about their descendants.
Edith has had me stuck for some time. ::)

Muffin41 :)
Pow in Bath Somerset, Essex, Middlesex, Lancashire, Surrey, Australia, New Zealand and USA
Bailey, Hare, in Bath & Taunton Somerset
Nash in Seend Wiltshire, Bath Somerset
Snook in Middlesex, Leicestershire, Surrey, Berkshire, Portugal and Canada
Billinghurst, Furlonger, Hoare, Huntingford, Tilbury, Webb in Surrey

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
There are not a great deal of Guthros nor Snook in Canada back then, although N.S. & N.B. had some Guthro....could be where father of Wm from B.C. first hailed.
( just checked 1881 and he is from N.S. )

anyhoo, a coincidence perhaps as there is a death for a son of a William Guthro and Ada Shnook in B.C. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/MN56-RWH/p1 Bella Bella is not all that far from Addenbrook Island
( am wondering if it is a typo for her first name)
Wm. Archibald Guthro was married 1905 but his wife could have passed on... Perhaps a lookup of the marriage to Tresidder where no parents are stated for Edith...do not start a new thread, I will ask for someone to join in...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com