Author Topic: Cummings/Kimmons around Clonoe  (Read 3979 times)

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cummings/Kimmons around Clonoe
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 May 12 22:43 BST (UK) »
im based in northern ireland, a place where some of the family setlled, i have been to area and looked but was looking with wrong dates. does any of your cummings have a link to devlin surname or forbes.  to be honest i dont know wat that dna tree is

Offline mary tt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 May 12 22:55 BST (UK) »
No links to the Devlins or Forbes that I know of, but by coincidence my mother Bridie is a Devlin from Stewartstown also.  Her mother was a Devlin, Tash (Catherine) Devlin whose mother was Bessie Devlin.  Her mother was wee Granny Devlin who was born Katherine McKee.  But it is a terrible job trying to unravel Devlins isn't it?

Let me know if there is anything else I might be able to help you with.  I have run into a bit of a wall  myself and know how frustrating Irish research can be!

Offline RonanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I know I’m a little late to the party but I am researching the McManus family and I believe the Margaret you mention here is my great grandad’s sister. I would love to know more about her and her ancestors
Ronan

Offline mary tt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ronan
Margaret McManus was my x3 great grandmother and I have very little on her, but what I have I am happy to share. She married my x3 gt grandfather John Kimmins (the family name is actually Cummings!) in Ballyclog Church of Ireland church 21 Oct 1858. The family is all Catholic so have no idea why they married there. On the marriage certificate her father is given as John McManus, labourer and the witnesses were John Donnelly and William McManus. in the 1901 census John and Margaret Cummings were living in house 15 North Street Stewartstown, John was 76 and Margaret 73, giving a birth date of around 1828 for Margaret, birthplace is just given as Tyrone. That is all I have! Does this tie in with your Margaret Mc Manus? Best wishes, Mary   

Offline RonanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 22:16 GMT (UK) »
The date and location tie in with my Margaret. I have a cousin genealogist who has done most of the work on the tree and has Margaret down as marrying a John Hughes.. I would have to check how sure she is that this is correct. My great grandad John was her sister, only 1 “great” as I skip generations due to my dad being an old dad and his grandad also being an old dad so I get back to 1830 in 3/4 generations.. it would be great if these Margaret’s were the same person. We know that our Margaret’s dad was also John, born 1808 in Donaghmore. His wife was Isabella Kelly from Tullylig townland (just outside Stewartstown).. in case any of that helps. Other siblings were James, Bridget, Patrick and Isabella

Offline mary tt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Ronan, that info certainly seems to tie up with what we have - it looks as if John and Isabella Kelly are part of our tree. I had given up hope of adding any new names, so I am very grateful, it has been no easy job. Can I ask what your great grandads name was?
Many thanks
Mary

Offline RonanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 23:33 GMT (UK) »
A quick summary of the family story.. my Great grandad was John, he married my great grandmother Elizabeth Costello in Birkenhead but died in 1898 in a dock accident. He left 2 daughters and 3 sons, one of the daughters died in 1901 of TB, Elizabeth then died in 1905 leaving the remaining children orphaned. The oldest girl went “into service” in a hotel as she was 14 and the 3 boys were brought London, the nearest catholic orphanage that could take all 3. They all went to the First World War and all came home. My grandad Patrick was wounded. They all settled back in Birkenhead with their sister after the war and eventually all married and had families. My grandad had learnt music in the orphanage and made his living as a musician on the white star line boats to New York. It started a musical streak through the family. My dad Ross was born in 1927 and was a musician, as are all of his 5 sons including myself. I can fill you in on details of the mcmanus side of the family if you are happy to chat further