Author Topic: Obituaries  (Read 6394 times)

Offline 570bryn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Obituaries
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
I am amazzed Milly at all the information you have at hand, and very greatful.
I made a mistake on my first reply insaying 1871 when I meant they were together on the 1861 census.
Further to George Peacock and Rebecca Sims, they were married at the Cathedral in 1873, had 6 children, George died 1888-1891, Rebecca remarried a John Edwards in 1903 at Stockport and she died in 1906 at Stockport.
The christening details you gave to me match info I have, yes I have a birth cert. for Samuel; b. Oct 1850-father Samuel Sims a boiler maker - mother Alice Sims previously Alice Birch (no mention of Bower(s), at 1Wellington street, Stockport, which matches with the newspaper you sent.

I have a marriage for Samuel Sims to Bridget Barlow at Stockport Dec quarter (8th Nov ?) 1845 ref. 19/276.

The marriage of Alice Birch to Charles Bower, 4th. Aug 1845 ref. 20/577 & CATH/45/159, seems to be a strong possibility, followed by the birth of Mary in 1846 at Heaton Norris March quart. 19/253.  There is a death of a Charles Bower at Stockport Dec quarter 1847 ref. 19/226.

A lot of the info we have found seems to match, no luck yet on any sentence Samuel may have received.  Again thank you for all your help, I now have more ideas on how to research and plenty to think about!!
Regards Keith.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obituaries
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
Odd that she only had Birch on the birth certificate - perhaps it was just an oversight on her part. I wonder what is on the Leeds marriage certificate. If it is alice birch whether it says spinster or widow? 

But the Wellington Street address is certainly a very interesting bit of information.

I think seeing what Berkshire Record Office have on that Samuel Sims bigamy case would be useful (although i can't see why it is Berkshire!).  Perhaps Chester Records Office may also have something.

And perhaps Stockport Library may have more on the case - either newspaper or records.

And I wonder what the rules are for record offices regarding marriage certificates if one is found to be bigamous?  Do they have to make a not somewhere. Might be worth contacting the relevant Leds RO to ask them about it.  They may even go and look at their entry for you.

A fascinating conundrum - do come back and let us know what you discover ;D ;D

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk