Author Topic: W Ruddell Tobacco Manufacturer Dublin, marriage to Thomas Clarke  (Read 10497 times)

Offline woodchurch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
W Ruddell Tobacco Manufacturer Dublin, marriage to Thomas Clarke
« on: Monday 17 October 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
I recently stumbled upon the obituary of Wallace Ruddell Aykroyd 1899 - 1979, a very eminent nutritionist born in Dublin.  The obit says his mother was ' the daughter of a well-known Dublin tobacco manufacturer', and I imagine quite probably the source of his middle name.

The 1913 Post Office Directiory for Dublin has a W Ruddell, tobacco manufacturer with a telephone (Dublin 108y??) at 7 Shelbourne Road, Dublin.

My great grandfather, Thomas Clarke, himself a tobacco manufacturer, (the son of William Clarke and Son of Cork and Dublin), married an Elizabeth Ruddell daughter of William Ruddell of Dublin. A good tactical move perhaps.   I do have a date and place of their marriage, 21 Feb 1865, St James's, Dublin.
Can any Rootschatter throw any light on the Ruddells?
Woodchurch, Clarke, Eager, Wrightson, Loewenthal, Hughes

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: W Ruddell Tobacco Manufacturer Dublin, marriage to Thomas Clarke
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 October 11 18:11 BST (UK) »
here's young Wallace and the Aykroyd family on 1901 census in Rathmines south Dublin :

Aykroyd household

parents are Alfred Constantine and Wilhelmina Mary. A birth cert for Wallace would show his mother's maiden name. Here's the likely index reference :

Name: Wallace Ruddell Aykroyd
  Registration district:   Dublin South
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1899
  Volume: 2 / Page: 569

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 October 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
and a likely marriage cross match from the BMD Index which looks like it confirms your theory about Wallace's middle name :

Name: Alfred C Aykroyd
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year: Apr-Jun 1896
  Volume: 2 / Page: 599

Name: Wilhelmina M Ruddell
  [same index references as Alfred]

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 October 11 18:35 BST (UK) »
Checking for Wilhelmina's birth or baptism I dont see any sign of details in the extracted FamilySearch records, or on IrishGenealogy (There are no  Methodist records included on IrishGenealogy), but there is a good match in civil records index in 1872 in Dublin South :

Name: Wilhelmina Mary Ruddell
  Event type: Birth
  Year: 1872
  Volume: 12 / Page: 624

A cert would confirm the details of her place of birth and parents names. There is just one Ruddell entry in the trades index of Thom's Directory of 1872 - a William Ruddell with addresses of 147/148 Francis Street and residence at 134 James's Street.  His business/trade is listed as 'tobacco, cigar & snuff manufacturer'

Based on extracted record for a probable brother to Wilhelmina - a William Frederick Ruddell, born 25 July 1874, it looks like William's wife is named Elizabeth Mary Barlow

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 October 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather, Thomas Clarke..... married an Elizabeth Ruddell daughter of William Ruddell of Dublin. ...I do have a date and place of their marriage, 21 Feb 1865, St James's, Dublin.

That seems to be a civil marriage, or maybe Methodist ? There no sign of it on the IrishGenealogy website which includes records for the RC and CofI parishes of St. James.

Given the gap between that marriage in 1865 and Wilhelmina's birth in 1872, I wonder if there are two different William Ruddalls, father and son - i.e. maybe this Elizabeth was William jnr's brother ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 October 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
See:
134 Ruddell, William, tobacco, snuff,
and cigar manufacturer, 117 .....Can't work out if includes the line underneath..
http://www.libraryireland.com/Dublin-Street-Directory-1862/89.php
Yes it does:
Ruddell
William, 147-148 Francis St and 45 South Great George's St (tobacco and snuff manufacturer)
http://www.dublin1850.com/dublin1850/xdubdir75.html#Ruddell

Also at East Wall:
http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/1935/12/10/00009.asp

Sorry if I am duplicating info already known;
Here they are in the Peerage:

http://thepeerage.com/p12759.htm
Several generations.

Not sure if these are the same family:
Mount Jerome Cemetary:
No.1232
Right side of number 1229:-  In | Loving Memory | of | our darling | WILLIE |
who fell asleep in Jesus | 25th June 1883 | aged 9 years | also of | ELIZABETH
MARY | widow of WILLIAM RUDDELL | who died at her residence | Eastbourne,
Terenure | Oct. 5. 1917 | aged 82 years | "Safe in the arms of Jesus".

Mount Jerome Cemetery:
No.1229
In | Affectionate | Remembrance | of | WILLIAM RUDDELL | of this City | who
departed this life | 7th of March 1878 | aged 65 years | "God if our refuge and
| heaven our home".

PM

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 October 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Given the gap between that marriage in 1865 and Wilhelmina's birth in 1872, I wonder if there are two different William Ruddalls, father and son - i.e. maybe this Elizabeth was William jnr's brother ?

see from the peerage link the Pastmagic just posted that Elizabeth was apparently a child of William's first marriage - so might be a sister of Wilhelmina after all.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline woodchurch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Wow that's fantastic - thanks to Shanew and Pastmagic, many obstinate pieces of the jigsaw now fit together! 

So Elizabeth Ruddell, the future wife of Thomas Clarke was the daughter of William Ruddell's first wife Elizabeth Galbraith. And the Ruddells were probably methodist, perhaps from County Armagh.  Elizabeth Ruddell married Thomas Clarke and their first child was christened Elizabeth Galbraith Clarke, born 1868.  Their first son and second child was christened William Ruddell Clarke, born 1870. 

One spelling correction to the Peerage.com entry, Elizabeth Ruddell married Thomas Clarke, not Clark.  See Peerage.com Person Page 36573 for their descendants.

Pike's Contemporary Biographies of Cork 1911 has a good entry on Thomas Clarke.

So Elizabeth, Ruddell, a daughter of Dublin Snuff and tobacco manufacturer William Ruddell married Thomas Clarke son of Cork snuff and tobacco manufacturer, William Clarke!  Is there any evidence that Clarke's Tobacco inocrporated Ruddell's?  By a=way of footnote, Clarke's Tobacco (Wm Clarke and Son) was founded in Cork in 1830, was later headquartered in Dublin at Dolphins Barn, and then moved their headquarters to a new factory they built at Hare Place, Scotland Road, Liverpool in 1870.  In 1901 they were one of 13 UK companies who amalgamated to form Imperial Tobacco to compete with the American Tobacco Company
Woodchurch, Clarke, Eager, Wrightson, Loewenthal, Hughes

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
from Slater's 1846 directory :

Wm. Clarke, tobacco manufacturer, 69 South Main st, Cork

see : link

Shane
My Surname Interests