Author Topic: Johanna Flemming birth - Kilfinane  (Read 7237 times)

Offline benicio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Johanna Flemming birth - Kilfinane
« on: Monday 17 October 11 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone -

I have located a reocrd of birth for Johanna Flemming, born to Thomas Flemming and Mary Kiely on 15 May 1869 in Kilfinane, Limerick, Ireland.  I would like to know if there is a resource which would allow me to view the actual document as familysearch.org and ancestry.com have a transcript, but not the actual doc.

I am interested because my Great Grandfather was Thomas Fleming and his wife was Mary Kiley.  The emigrated fro IRE to Connecticut, United States around 1870.  They had a daughter named Hannah who was born in IRE in (around) 1869 (according to the 1880 US census; Derby, Connecticut).  I believe this may be the same family. 

Up until this point, I have had no knowledge of where in Ireland they departed from and this is very exciting for me.  Thanks for any help you can provide.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fleming - Knocklong, Kilfinane, Limerick
Kenney/Kenny - Keighley, Lawrence (MA, USA)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna Flemming birth - Kilfinane
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 October 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
You'd need to order the certificate but I can tell you that Hannah is often used as a nickname for Johanna.
See here for full details on Irish birth certificates and how to order them:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433041.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline benicio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the posts/Pm's aghadowey & lumin - This site is always extremely helpful.

What I now know after obtaining the info from rootsireland.ie:

Johanna Flemming - Born on 15 - May 1869; Baptised 17 - May 1869.

It appears the birth occured in (address listed) Kilgarriff, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is in Co. Galway...the record states Co. Limerick - Was Kilgarriff at one point in Limerick?

Informant 1 is listed as MI. Fleming (assume is Michael) & Informant 2 is listed as Bgt. Kiely (assume is Bridget) (These are pulled from the Baptism record) 

The civil birth record lists the informant as Anne Condon

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 18:27 BST (UK) »
There are six townlands called Kilgarriff in Ireland (see www.thecore.com/seanruad) but one in Tuam Poor Law Union (Galway) and another in Kilmallock Poor Law Union (Limerick).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline benicio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 18:32 BST (UK) »
Is there a way to preview the data on rootsireland.ie?  I see there are many marriages between Thomas Fleming and Mary Kiely between 1860 - 1870. (trying to avaoid purchasing incorrect information)

or

births of Thomas Fleming Parents: James Fleming and Susan Martin around 1840

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
You cant preview transcripts on RootsIreland, you have to purchase records to see the full details.

The best way to start is to narrow down your search to the parish your Fleming family lived at the time - or in the case of the marriage the parish where the Kiely family originated.

In addition to the parish, you can usually include father's name on baptism records to narrow down the results.

(Some counties allow an advanced search for baptisms using both father and mothers name - but this doesn't apply to Limerick)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline benicio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 21:27 BST (UK) »
What I know (from rootsireland.ie):

Thomas Fleming and Mary Keily were married on 11 Feb 1866 in the parish of Knockling & Glenbrohane, Limerick.

The marriage was witnessed by Thomas O'Donnell and Catherine Barrett.

They then had a child, Johanna Fleming on 15 May 1869 and had her baptised on 17 May 1869.

The Church Baptism Record states Sponsor 1 / Informant 1: MI. Fleming & Sponsor 2 / Informant 2: Bgt. Kiely

I understand these to be the god parents.

Fleming family was Roman Catholic.

Offline benicio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
Additional, What I know:

Thomas Fleming and Mary Kiley (transcribed in US) appear in 1880 US Census in Derby, Connecticut with a daughter named Hannah who is 11 years old. (1880-1869 = 11)(matching Johanna Flemming's birth record in Ireland)

Mary Kiley's death record in CT lists her parents as Thomas Kiley and Johanna O'Donnell. 

This appears to tie into the witness from the marriage in Knocklong Parish in 1866, Thomas O'Donnell. (possibly an uncle or the grandfather of Mary Kiley Fleming?)

My problem now is that I cannot find an 1870 US census or an immigration/emigration passenger list.  Personal opionion from the community here - Do you believe this to be the same family?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
What I know ...

Thomas Fleming and Mary Keily were married on 11 Feb 1866 in the parish of Knockling & Glenbrohane, Limerick.

The marriage was witnessed by Thomas O'Donnell and Catherine Barrett.

do you  have a civil record of the marriage ?

that would give you names and occupations of Thomas and Mary's fathers - which would be useful clues when searching for their baptisms.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests