Author Topic: Johanna Flemming birth - Kilfinane  (Read 7236 times)

Offline benicio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna Flemming birth - Kilfinane
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 21:40 BST (UK) »
The record I purchaased simply lists the names of the parties being married (Thomas Fleming & Mary Kiely), and their denomination.  It then contains the surnames of their fathers (Fleming & Kiely) and finally, the two witnesses (Thomas O'Donnell & Catherine Barrett)

**But I may have found another hint that this is indeed the same family -

Thomas Fleming, in 1910 was living in Ansonia CT, the census from that year lists a man living in his house by the name of Jeremiah Kiley.  Jeremiah is recorded as "Brother-in-law", born 1842 in Ireland.

I then plugged Jeremiah Kiely, parish Knocklong into rootsireland.ie, and a record was found of that parish with a birth year of........1842!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fleming - Knocklong, Kilfinane, Limerick
Kenney/Kenny - Keighley, Lawrence (MA, USA)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
The record I purchaased simply lists the names of the parties being married (Thomas Fleming & Mary Kiely), and their denomination.  It then contains the surnames of their fathers (Fleming & Kiely) and finally, the two witnesses (Thomas O'Donnell & Catherine Barrett)

That sounds like a church record - often less detailed than a civil record. For notes on a details included on a civil marriage cert see : Details included on a Marriage Cert

For some reason I dont see a good match for the 1866 marriage on the civil BMD index at the moment (the only Thomas Fleming marriage I see is in Co Tipperary), but will have another look later..

As well as father's names, a marriage cert should also show residences for the bride and groom, which can also be helpful...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline benicio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 16:08 BST (UK) »
From the rootsireland.ie website, I purchased the following:

Church Baptism Record - Johanna Fleming
Civil Birth Record - Johanna Fleming
Church Marriage Record - Thomas Fleming & Mary Kiely

Are the details left off of the records provided from the website transcribed anywhere else?  OR is the data pulled from this website exactly what is included in the actual record?

I am assuming that if the data was not provided from the website that it simply was not transcribed at the time of entry.

Offline benicio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
Another update:

i just purchased a birth record of Thomas Fleming, b 1837 in the Parish of Knocklong - and the parents listed are James Fleming and Susan Martin, which match the death certificate I have seen in Ansonia, Connecticut, USA.

I think I can safely say that this is, indeed, the correct family I was looking for.

Thanks everyone for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
i just purchased a birth record of Thomas Fleming, b 1837 in the Parish of Knocklong - and the parents listed are James Fleming and Susan Martin, which match the death certificate I have seen in Ansonia, Connecticut, USA.

looks like you've a good cross-Atlantic match between that baptism record and the death cert. !

re your previous question - parish records (baptisms and marriages) often contain less detail than civil cert, so I'd always try for civil cert first if that option was available - i.e. the event was 1864 or later. The exception to this is Church of Ireland marriages - which usually show the same details as a civil cert.

In most cases websites with transcriptions of parish records include all the available details from the register record.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline benicio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 October 11 14:08 BST (UK) »
Just wondering - is there any method of determining the date of birth if all you can locate is a Church Baptism record?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 October 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
Just wondering - is there any method of determining the date of birth if all you can locate is a Church Baptism record?

depends on the record - many RC baptism records dont mention date of birth just baptism, especially earlier ones, but RC baptisms were generally carried out quite soon after birth. Sometimes on the same day, but nearly always within a couple of days.

Some Church of Ireland baptism records include both a date of birth and baptism - but not always.

As with any parish records - the level of details recorded varies over time, and from parish to parish.

Shane
My Surname Interests