Author Topic: Albert Edward Ferguson  (Read 7439 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward Ferguson
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 November 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I love that bit you wrote "I expect he'll be most interested in the army records".  I'll get my aunt to drive, pour a quantity of wine down him and then we can all laugh over Neil F's records.  On closer inspection, when they tried sending him back to Afghanistan in 1880, I came across the word "malingerer"!  They sent him.

On another note, I have come across a surprise with Albert Edward.  2 years Scots Greys age 15 to 17 and then discharged on medical grounds, yes.  Tried again in 1914 and then discharged again on medical grounds after 40 days.  But I have a collection of medals which I inspected tonight and there is the WW1 Victory and British War Medal.  I looked at the rim and both say Lieut A E Ferguson.  Where did that come from?  I'll have to go back to the National Archives.

Jenny

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 November 11 23:09 GMT (UK) »
No need to go back to the National Archives.I had a look in ancestry & there area a few Albert Edward Fergusons on the medal list. The first one I read is the recipient of the 2 medals you have. Fortunately, & coincidently, it's the only one which shows a postal address. Here it is;
The Orchard, Upper Basildon, Pangbourne, Berks. He was in the 15th Nott. & Derby B, 14th Oxf. & Buck. LI, Machine Gun Corps.
Could this Lieut. Ferguson be a relative, if it's not your Albert?
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 08:55 GMT (UK) »
     Thanks so much for looking.  Not a relative no, no connections to Berkshire anywhere, but it could be him.  I think I may have misread him.  Among those medals are also a Long Service Special Constables medal, a 1939-45 Home Guard medal, a Life Saving Association bronze medal and he was a member of the masons from 1906 until his death.

I get the impression that this guy wanted to serve.  His father had done 21 years and both his younger brothers, the George Victor that you found and Robert Leonard, were signed up.  It must have been mortifying that they wouldn't take him.  It seems possible to me that, having been discharged in Scotland as medically unfit in 1902 and 1914, he could have moved south and tried again in England where his previous history hadn't followed him if he lied about previous service and, as the war progressed, they were less fussy.  He was born in Hounslow/Brentwood so it wouldn't ring alarm bells.

I must take the original attestation papers I have to the National Archives and see if the description matches, unless you can advise me where I can see them online.  I can't afford to join Ancestry, had to choose between Scotland's People and Ancestry, and I've used up my 14 days free.  However, I do go to Heathrow every month or so which is just 20 minutes down the M4 from the NA, so combine the two as and when.

Thanks for the information, I would be totally stuck on that side of the family if it hadn't been for the breakthrough you found.  Yet again, you've come up trumps!

Jenny

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 10:20 GMT (UK) »
The attestation papers are available to view on ancestry. I see that your Albert was 31years & 5months old on Sept.1st 1914, so he must've been born circa April 1883.
I cannot see a connection with the medals though. Why don't you query this on the militiary thread & link it to this one?
Have you located Nellie's grave yet?  Albert's date of death could be wriiten on her headstone!
What about the masons? They would surely have nted his passing on in some document!
Keep on looking!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Masons have nothing apart from the name, joining date and date on which he became master of his lodge.  No luck with Nellie's grave.  I can't see the attestation papers on Ancestry, no subs, but I'll see if I can get down to Heathrow this week.  The dob is a problem.  Definitely the same Albert Edward in 1900, 15 years and 5 months, and 1914, 31 years and 5 months, ( next of kin, addresses, etc) but he added 2 years onto his age when he married Nellie in 1903, maybe her family would have thought 18 was too young to marry so he said he was 20 and then stuck to it.  It's caused all sorts of trouble!  I have his height 9ft and a half inch, weight 166lbs, hair dark brown, eyes brown, scar on rt knee and next of kin Nellie; so I should be able to see if the descriptions match.  If they do, then I'll get the full record.  Will let you know.

Jenny

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 09:20 GMT (UK) »
flst,

Uncle came for the weekend and was absolutely thrilled with all the information on the family, including the old soldier.  I got the Fergussons back to the mid 18thC in Perthshire.  I would never have been able to do any of it if it hadn't been for your breakthrough in finding that query from George Victor's grandson on the Circle City wartime board.  I'd been looking for months and was absolutely stuck.  It meant a lot to me to be able to give him the information and see him so pleased.  I can't thank you enough.

Jenny

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Jenny, I'm so chuffed!  Many people have helped me in my research over the years & I really enjoyed being able to help you. I came across  websites new to me as well, so that's a bonus.If you come across any new information on the Fergussons please update this post. Your findings may help another rootschatter!
Regards,
flst

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have found an article in the Scotsman 17 Nov 1924, that Annie Robertson Silver or Ferguson, 25 Jordan Lane, Edinburgh was granted an uncontested decree of divorce against George Victor Ferguson, 25 Avenue Road, Hammersmith, London, W. on the grounds of desertion.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 January 12 09:43 GMT (UK) »
This may be of interest to anyone else researching this family. 

I was doing a bit of looking today and came across an entry for a gravestone for Rosa Anna Fergusson, Albert Edward's mother.  It's Lair No 214 in the graveyard at Moulin.  The entry gives an abbreviation of what is on the stone so I have assumed the missing bits.  "Erected by Neil Ferguson, in memory of his wife Rose Anna Spree, died 26.9.1912 age 55 and her children Frederick, John, Peter, Neil, Rose and Duncan who all died in infancy."  On the 1911 Census it asked how many children born (10) and how many living (4) so there are the names of the missing 6.  I had a look on SP in Moulin and I couldn't find Frederick.  There is a Frederick who died in Blythwood Glasgow age 0 in 1889 which is near the barracks at Maryhill which didn't have married quarters so that could be him.  However, I found the others in Moulin.  John died age 0 in 1893, Peter James died age 0 in 1893, Neil died age 0 in 1895, Rose Anna died age 0 in 1897, and Duncan died in 1898 age 4 of croup.

Jenny