Author Topic: John Fenton marriage Newark 1829  (Read 4013 times)

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Fenton marriage Newark 1829
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 October 11 17:31 BST (UK) »
Damaris (spelt Demerias) Fenton aged 42 of Newark was buried 22 July 1841 at St Mary's Newark.

I can get both marriages  and email them to you next week if you like.

Nottsgirl1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 October 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
Boy, he didnt wait long to get Mary Ann in the Family way.

I presumed Ann was Damaris also.
I forgot to add the date of Jacobs Christening so have added it to info on above posting.
(you probably have all of this but I just want to tidy up my mistake)
I also found the 1841 Census but didnt notice George Burrill.
Lucky she was still alive when the Census was taken 06 June 1841.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 October 11 21:03 BST (UK) »
Nottsgirl1

I'd be really grateful if you'd get the copies of the marriages for me. I'll pm you my email address.

Many thanks and thank you for the burial date of Damaris as well.

Gibel

Offline DLPublic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 February 13 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Gibel,

what a stroke of luck as I have just spent the morning researching Sarah Maria Cartwright/Fenton.

I established that John Speed married Sarah in 1858, but yesterday I received a copy of a birth certificate for Alma Speed (their daughter) which stated Sarah was formerly Fenton, although their marriage was registered under Cartwright and she appeared to be too young to have previously married.  So it was back to the drawing board this morning.

I have now found out that she was the natural daughter of Mary Ann Cartwright who went on to marry John Fenton in 1847.  I have located the Fentons in Bedlam Lane, Newark in the 1841-1871 census returns, Mary Ann and John's marriage in 1847, their deaths in 1873 and 1876 (respectively), their 10 children born between 1842 and 1861 and the four children of John and his first wife, Ann, between 1832 and 1836.  Goodness! The family must have dominated  the chimney sweeping market in Newark!

Now like you I  arrived at the point of trying to establish the marriage for John and Ann and came across the John Fenton=Damaris Burill marriage as a likely candidate!.  Wondering if Ann was perhaps a nickname for Damaris, I did a web search and up popped this thread.
Therefore I have just registered to RootsChat to send this message.

You obviously have a head start on me, so wondered if there was anything you would be willing to share with me.  FYI: I always do my own research to verify any information received as I hate those who just take other people's research and simply post it without verification.

regards Dave
p.s. if I can work out how to do it, I will send you a PM.

Offline DLPublic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 February 13 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Gibel,

further to my previous post, I have also explored possible birth records for John Fenton in London/Middlesex.  A parish record exists for John Jacob FENTON (parents Jacob and Jane) who was born 7 Aug 1809 and christened 19 Jul 1809.  Although this appears to be a couple of years out, going on census returns (not unusual), I am drawn to the fact  the Jacob name appears for John Fenton in Newark (his son) and there does not appear to be a more likely candidate (online at least!).

Do you have any thoughts on this?
Dave

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 February 13 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Iam sure you have this but just in case,
Newark St Mary Magdalene marriage
25-12-1858 John Speed and Sarah Maria Cartwright.
11-4-1847 John Fenton and Mary Ann Cartwright.

Burial's Newark
22-7-1841 DEMERIAS Fenton aged 42
18-8-1832 Jane Fenton aged 18 m

Baptism same church
30-8-1859 Mary dau of John Speed and Sarah abode Eldon St father a bricklayer.

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline DLPublic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 February 13 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Larkspur,

I had the year/qtr of the two marriages but not the actual dates.
Thanks for that. Where did you obtain these dates?
I am unable to find them on Findmypast, IGI or FreeReg.

As for the burials and baptism, yes I had those.

Dave

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 February 13 09:28 GMT (UK) »
The Fenton family was for a friend of mine. I will see what I still have on the Fenton family. I tracked the family back to Sheffield. I seem to remeber I went to Sheffield because of the father's occupation on a marriage certificate. I will get back to you when I have had a look for what I might still have.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 February 13 09:45 GMT (UK) »
John Jacob married Damaris Ann Burril 14 Dec 1829 at Newark and then Mary Ann Cartwright 11 April 1847 at newark. This marriage gives his father as Jacob a cutler. The fact Jacob's father was a cutler made me think of Sheffield (I usded to live near Sheffield). This led me to his father's second marriage to Sarah and then down to London and back again.

John Jacob Fenton was born 19 July 1809 and christened 7 Aug 1809 at St Sepulchre Church Holborn son of Jacob and Jane. She was Jane Elizabeth Appletree who Jacob married on 14 Feb 1808 at St Bride's church. After Jane's death Jacob returned to Sheffield and married Sarah Western at Rotherham Parish Church on 16 Oct 1815. He died in 1841 in Sheffield.

I can go back a couple more generations if you'd like. I found some ancestors on Family Search but when I checked them out in Sheffield Record Office I found that Family Search had named the churches wrongly.

If you pm I will send the above in slightly more detail if you wish.