Author Topic: William Clarke BROWN - convict or not?  (Read 10342 times)

Offline Glengeel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Clarke BROWN - convict or not?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 19 December 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Travis,

Always good to hear from someone interested in the Brown family.

To my knowledge there are three editions of the family story by Fr. Brown.  The first was produced for or shortly after the family reunion held around 1959 - it has a yellow cover, no photos, and was probably run off on a gestetner machine.  The second edition was produced in the 1980s - it has a red cover and includes photos.  It was an update of the first book that included new information and a section on Robert Brown's branch.  I saw a third edition at the Coleraine Tourist Information Centre a few years ago, it is a reprint of the 1980s edition but I think may have had a section removed.  I understand it was reprinted by the Coleraine local history society after Fr Brown had passed away.

What was not acknowledged in any of the editions is that the stories about WCB and MSB and their children were the recollections of their grandson, George Brown, who lived with them c.1900 when they had retired to Coleraine.  His jobs included chopping firewood and doing other heavy work that his grandparents were no longer capable of doing.  I understand that he may have been around 12-14 years old at the time.  In his later life George recorded his memories of his life with his grandparents and what he knew about his aunts and uncles, and this formed the basis of the book.

Hope this is of interest,

Glen

Offline Mazza2006

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Clarke BROWN - convict or not?
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Glen
George Brown the grandson of WCB was my grandfather. You mentioned that George recorded his memories of his grandparents and Aunts and Uncles. Is this what has been written in the booklet Browns of Bil Bil Wyt by Father Brown? Or is there a separate memoir, if so, I would be very happy to be able to read it.
What an amazing couple they were raising all those children and working their way up to having their own farm with some of their children on farms around them. They were well respected in the community. I believe there is only one of their descendants with the surname Brown living in Coleraine now. I was lucky enough to grow up there and there were many Browns in the area at that time
Regards Marilyn