Author Topic: The Bentham's from Standish  (Read 7075 times)

Offline GEORGE BENTHAM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Bentham's from Standish
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 30 June 19 12:52 BST (UK) »
I am familiar with the slavery point but I don't think Sir Roger had any black slaves. The term he is using  is a term used to refer to his labourers. THE GREAT UNWASHED his blacks are his workhands.

Offline Zoe Knowles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 29 May 20 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am a local historian looking into the history behind the Bentham millions.  Can anyone give me further details as I have come to a standstill in my research.

From what I can gather so far, Katherine Bradshaw was the daughter of Roger Bradshaw Snr (3rd Baronet of Haigh) and sister of Roger Bradshaw Jnr (4th Baronet of Haigh). The latter died childless and left a will saying the estate should go to his sister Katherine, who had apparently married a John or James Bentham. The estate actually went to the neice Elizabeth Edwin, who later became mother-in-law to Alexander Lindsay, the 6th Earl of Balcarres.

It’s the dates that do not add up to me though. If I have the above correct, then Katherine Bradshaw should have been born around 1690-1740. I cannot find either a John or James Bentham who would be around the same age.

The only possibility I can find is a John Bentham, born 1801, who marries a Catherine Bradshaw and goes on to have a daughter Mary Ann Bentham. This John would have been at lest 60 years older than the Katherine Bradshaw referred to previously though.
Can anyone shed any light on this please.
Many thanks
Zoe

Offline Zoe Knowles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 29 May 20 21:56 BST (UK) »
John Bentham was a farrier at Haigh Hall at that time. There are records on microfiche confirming  this and his wife is named as Katherine Bradshaw (spelled without the H.

Hi George
Where is this microfiche stored is it available for public viewing?  I am a local historian looking into this story.
Many thanks
Zoe

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 30 May 20 14:23 BST (UK) »

It’s the dates that do not add up to me though. If I have the above correct, then Katherine Bradshaw should have been born around 1690-1740. I cannot find either a John or James Bentham who would be around the same age.

If Katherine Bradshaw was born before 1740, her marriage might have happened before Hardwicke's Marriage Act.
Cowban