Author Topic: The Bentham's from Standish  (Read 7074 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: The Bentham's from Standish
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 June 19 14:12 BST (UK) »
Manchester Courier June 29th 1877
Local Gleanings mentions amongst other things
CCXVII A Recovery Roll
Alexander Osbaldiston,James Smithley and others against James Standish of Erley
Roger Bradhaigh of Haigh and Matthew Standish of lands & in Blackrod Chorley and Duxbury,with third part of two mills in Duxbury Chorley, Lancashire archives may have this document,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline GEORGE BENTHAM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 10:58 BST (UK) »
There still are many records available for Benthams but there are many Benthams ,some whome are not related to the claim/ One example struck me as very suspicious. I visited Standish Parish Church with my cousin to examine a a marriage documents dated October  1781. I knew the vicar quite well and he agreed to wave the usual fees to look at the parish records which were held in the  cellars of the church. When we found the volume we were looking for one page was burned( yes burned) out of the records. The vicar said there had been a fire hence the missing page. Now just think about that for a moment .. One page burned from a book.. why not two three ?? surely at least two pages would have been burned?? This is one such example of the lengths these people have gone to to send a message to the Benthams .

Offline GEORGE BENTHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 10:59 BST (UK) »
interestingly the firm of solicitors was from Dublin Ireland. He disappeared with most of our original documents.  My suspicion is that he was paid handsomely for his betrayal/

Offline GEORGE BENTHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 11:19 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of this marriage certificate.

Offline GEORGE BENTHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 11:25 BST (UK) »
 The crucial documents is the marriage certificate of Kathrine Bradshaigh to a Bentham ( not sure of his Christian name.) This was the parish record that was burned out of the book at Standish Parish Church. we attempted to retrieve. dated 1780/1790

Offline GEORGE BENTHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
my eye is drawn to the fact that Sir Roger Bradshaigh actually admits his sister is living with his blacksmith. This is astonishing that given the lengths that the trustees have gone to to stop our claim they couldn't cover up his last will and testatment. He amended his will several times though. Copies of which are held at Chester. He goes on to say that she should be " buried at night with as few blacks in attendance as possible??" Why was this to be kept secret? Was she the missing link to our claim?

Offline GEORGE BENTHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 11:44 BST (UK) »
the Katherine in question is 1771 (death and birth ) record only. This I feel has been airbrushed out of history. She married a Bentham. Thankyou for your input.

Offline GEORGE BENTHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 11:46 BST (UK) »
any mention of a Bentham in that data?

Offline GEORGE BENTHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
please forgive my inaccuracies as I have handed most of my documents to my cousin. I recollecting these events from 35 years ago.