Author Topic: Parish Entry for 1831 Marriage Cranston-Chater ** COMPLETE **  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Aus_Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Parish Entry for 1831 Marriage Cranston-Chater ** COMPLETE **
« on: Wednesday 19 October 11 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hullo,

FamilySearch lists the 10/05/1831 marriage of Thomas Cranston to Isabella Chater at St. John's Parish, Newcastle on Tyne.

Would somebody be able to advise where / how I can obtain an image copy of the parish register entry?

Thanks & Regards,
Mike
Howard, Jarrett, Parkinson, Conn, Bell, Burnley, Sample, Roberts, Fitzgerald, Verdon, White

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Entry for 1831 Marriage Cranston-Chater
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 14:37 BST (UK) »
You can see an actual copy of the bishops transcript on the family search pilot site

https://www.familysearch.org/

It is under St John Newcastle 1830-1838 and is page 40 of 687.

(However it is not the best quality image)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Aus_Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
DavidFT,

Brilliant !!!!  Thank you so much !!  You've "killed two birds with one stone" ...

1.  I'm a novice at this and didn't know all these images were on FamilySearch.  They will be very useful for other branches of my family tree.
2.  It's enabled me to confirm my theory that there has been a transcription error for Thomas' surname.  It should be "Ormston", not "Cranston".

But, how did you find the correct image amongst all the others so quickly?  Is there some cross-link index or search for FamilySearch images? 

I looked but it's not obvious to me.  Novice syndrome again.  :P

Thanks again,
Mike
Howard, Jarrett, Parkinson, Conn, Bell, Burnley, Sample, Roberts, Fitzgerald, Verdon, White

Offline Aus_Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
DavidFT,

Just had a thought.  I suppose we should tell FamilySearch about the transcription error.

As your help was instrumental to finding this, would you care to check the image for yourself and let them know?

I've seen some pretty large family trees (eg for CONN) on commercial sites which all come to a brick wall with Elizabeth TREDGOLD / ORMSTON.   It might be fun for RootsChat to have solved this one.   :)

If you need any supporting documentation, please let me know.

Also, please let me know about the FamilySeacrh image index / search facility.

Regards,
Mike

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 11 13:51 BST (UK) »

It's enabled me to confirm my theory that there has been a transcription error for Thomas' surname.  It should be "Ormston", not "Cranston".

But, how did you find the correct image amongst all the others so quickly?  Is there some cross-link index or search for FamilySearch images? 

Hi

Yes I agree that it looks more like Ormston than Cranston. Remember this are copies of the Bishops transcripts - quarterly copies of the original registers sent to the "supervising Bishop". The original parish registers may be clearer or even more obscure.

There are no cross link index that I am aware of. I simply took the information you provided which narrowed it down to the correct parish and date and then browsed a few pages until I found the correct one. I have lots of ancestors from the Durham \ Northumberland area so have used the site quite a bit. Its good when you know the date and parish you want but the more vague you are on these points the more you have to browse the images one at a time

david
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
DavidFT,

Just had a thought.  I suppose we should tell FamilySearch about the transcription error.

I've seen some pretty large family trees (eg for CONN) on commercial sites which all come to a brick wall with Elizabeth TREDGOLD / ORMSTON.   It might be fun for RootsChat to have solved this one.   :)

Hi again

As far as I am aware there is no way at present of advising familysearch of errors in transcriptions. (I believe people who actually transcribe for them may be in a better position to answer this, but I am not one of them)

Re the brick wall on trees on commercial sites. Quite often there are threads on the Common Room Board where people say they have found mistakes on trees etc and should they contact the person to tell them. More people than not seem to have had a bad experience when contacting people over corrections to their trees. I know I have given up telling people of mistakes people have on their trees regarding some of my ancestors (however if people ask me if I can help with shared ancestors then I am happy to do so). 

I am also reminded on a post on another site where someone asked for a look up on a census. Several people posted lots of extra information which did not please the original enquirer one bit as she said it spoiled her search! So sometimes you can be too helpful it seems  .......

David

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 October 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again

As I mentioned above the images on the familysearch pilot site are taken from the Bishops transcripts. If you wanted a copy from the actual parish registers (which should be the same, but not always are!) then you could try and see if one of the LDS centres in Australia has a copy of the requisite film. You can see a list of the centres at

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

If they do not have a copy and it would be too expensive for them to order one in you could instead try the Northumberland Archives service

http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/catalogue/?RefNo=&Date=1830-1840&Format=&Repository=&PlaceKey=ST.+JOHN&Language=&search_term=Enter+a+search+term&x=33&y=8

which holds the parish registers for Newcastle St John

A full list of all the parish registers they hold for Northumberland can be found at

http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/family-history/

the above link also contains a link to find out the costs of their reprographic services too should you want to order a copy of the page direct from them – it would be best to ask them to quote a price as you can give a precise date and parish so no research involved by them.

Hope this helps

David

Offline Aus_Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Entry for 1831 Marriage Cranston-Chater **COMPLETE **
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 October 11 21:45 BST (UK) »
David,

"So sometimes you can be too helpful it seems  ......."

Thanks very much for your words of wisdom and experience.  I can assure you that in your case what you've provided has been just what I've been looking for and is very much appreciated.

Thank you also for the links to Northumberland archives and parish registers.  I will explore those to fill-out the details of my family.

For your interest, we have placenames in common.  My family comes from Newcastle, NSW, particularly the suburbs of Jesmond, Wallsend and Lambton which you may know is a coal mining / steel producing area.  Going through the records and maps for my research is quite a nostalgic experience as I discover our heritage.

Thanks again and I hope to work with you again if I hit another snag with my research in your area.

I'll mark the post as complete.

Mike