Author Topic: 1851 Census Shepherd  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
1851 Census Shepherd
« on: Saturday 07 May 05 19:34 BST (UK) »

Hoping to find -

John Shepherd born Ebbesbourne Wake c 1835

John's age is a bit flexible on the other censuses but he should be around 16 years old.

John is residing in Ebbesbourne on every census except the 1861 where he is a boarder in Sutton Mandeville, Wilts. His age is given as 16 and his occupation as 'carter'

Any help much appreciated.

Darcy ;D
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Shepherd
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 05 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Darcy,

Checked Sutton Mandeville as well and this is the only Shepherd family in either.

EBBESBOURNE 1851
HO 107 1848 367 8
May Lane
SHEPHERD ELIZABETH, Widow, 43, Pauper, Brifford
CROUTER James, Son, 22, Ag Lab, Ebbesbourne, Wilts.
Sarah 17, Pauper, Ebbesbourne, Wilts.
Mary 15, Daughter, Ebbesbourne, Wilts.
John 9, Scholar, Ebbesbourne, Wilts.
Frederick 7, Scholar, Ebbesbourne, Wilts.

Hope this helps

Debbie

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 May 05 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie, ;D

yes, that is the right family but there is another John - step-son to Elizabeth. His name is Shepherd - not Crouter.

It's a very mixed up family as Elizabeth married 4 times and it's been a real challenge trying to sort out the relationships.

I have John Shepherd on every census except 1851. He never strayed far from Ebbesbourne with the exception of 1861.

By 1871 he is married and back living in Ebbesbourne.

Don't know where he is hiding in 1851 but I do thank you for trying to find him.

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 May 05 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Darcy,

ENFORD, Wiltshire 1851
HO 107 1844 58 12
BETHELL Henry 50 Farmer 1700 Acres Bradford
Ann Spencer 41 Chalfield
William 17 Chute
Henry 7 Scholar Enford, Wilts.
Charles 4 Scholar Enford, Wilts.
Emily 7m Enford, Wilts.
RIDEOUT Martha Servant 22 House Servant Enford, Wilts.
ROLF Caroline Servant 20 Amesbury
BIDDIN Ann Servant 15 Enford, Wilts.

Stable - Servants
DEAR Thomas Servant 18 Ag. Lab. Enford, Wilts.
EYRES Thomas 16 Ag. Lab. Enford, Wilts.
BIRD Henry 15 Ag. Lab. Enford, Wilts.
HILLIAR Henry 11 Ag. Lab. Enford, Wilts.
HOLMES George 19 Ag. Lab. Enford, Wilts.
SHEPPARD John 15 Ag. Lab. Enford, Wilts.
NAISH James 60 Ag. Lab. Enford, Wilts.

I suppose the Head could have not bothered to find out where they were born - maybe it's unlikely that none of the servants were born elsewhere? However, there are other Sheppard/Shepherd families in Enford and it is quite a distance from Ebbesbourne. 

Looking at my trusty map, I notice that Ebbesbourne is very near to both the Hampshire and Dorset borders so I would think it far more likely that your John Shepherd was living in one of the villages just over the border.

Sorry I've gone on... ;)

Debbie

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 May 05 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

I can 'go on' about this family for hours. ::)

It has taken me 4 years to find them. The 9 year old John Clouter you found in Ebbesbourne is my great grandfather. Of course I was looking for him as Shepherd because that was my mother's maiden name.

John was born 2 years before Elizabeth married Elias Shepherd and was registered as Clouter. His brother Frederick was registered as Crowter and stuck with it, except for 1861 when he called himself Shepherd.

2nd great grandmother Elizabeth is named, Clouter, Shepherd, Bath & Moxham
on the various censuses - depending on who she was married to at the time.

Her 3rd husband was Elias Shepherd's brother-in-law Henry Bath and her 4th husband, Charles Moxham, had a daughter who married Henry Bath's son.

I have never seen such a mix up. As I told Kris I am related to half of Ebbesbourne Wake by blood and marriage -  both at the same time!

Talked about confused ::)

The John Shepherd I am looking for is Elias' son to his first wife. He would have to have two sons called John as well! Thanks to you I know he is not in the Ebbesbourne area. The farm servant could be a possibility so I'm not ruling it out yet - right age and right name.

Debbie, trying to work out the relationships in this family is mind boggling. Is it any wonder I couldn't find them?

Your help and advice is very much appreciated.

Regards
Darcy.
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland