Author Topic: James Beatty of Co. Fermanagh  (Read 24371 times)

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
  • The whole is the sum of all our pasts
    • View Profile
Re: James Beatty of Co. Fermanagh
« Reply #36 on: Friday 03 February 17 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Haha! I just realised I need to update James's info in my own bottom of post info. I guess that's where you got the date! Sorry.
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 04 February 17 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gortinanima or whichever wonderful Fermanagh expert is reading,
I need help, and I hope you'll bear with me while I explain. The main impediment to accepting my James Beatty of Aghavoory (1797-1872) as the son of Archibald Beatty of Farnamullan (1758-1831) is the transcription of a tombstone which has apparently gone missing. We know from Crossle/Beatty/1/283 Clogher Will Books that James was Archibald's second son. His first son was Charles who died young. Here's what I've been told about his tombstone:
This "data provides the basis for the for beginning the birth estimates, since Charles is listed as the first born in the will.  Note: this tombstone no longer exists.  The church in Lisbellaw is removing all old markers and reusing the grave sites.  I have not been able to get any information on what process they are using and suspect that the old grave site information will be lost.

Church of Ireland Cemetery, Lisbellaw, Femanagh, Northern Ireland
This stone was erected by John Betty, in memory of his Father Archibald Betty who dept, this life Decbr. 3rd 1831, aged 73 years). Also Martha, wife of the said Archibald Betty, who depd. this life Nov. 23rd 1850 [?], aged 86 years. Also their son Charles Betty who depd. this life March 27th 1818, aged 13 [?] years."
[/b]
There was a note attached to this transcription querying whether Charles' death was at age 13 or 18 as the writing was very faint. All I'd need would be for him to have died in 1813 aged 18 and my James would be the perfect age to be his younger brother.
The question is, how can I find the tombstone and get someone to have a look at it? Surely the Church in Lisbellaw wouldn't actually destroy old tombstones. Can somebody help me to resolve this?
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 04 February 17 01:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm 3/4 Fermanagh and Tyrone but it is my sister who does our NI research. So to use the Irish term for one who is watching with interest from the sidelines - lurcher - I thought I might do more than lurch, haha, and ask if you participate on the Fermanagh gold forum?
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/search?aop&body=James+Beattie&path=fermanagh%2Dgold&start=26

Salute,
Janelle

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 18 February 17 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gortinanima or whichever wonderful Fermanagh expert is reading,
I need help, and I hope you'll bear with me while I explain. The main impediment to accepting my James Beatty of Aghavoory (1797-1872) as the son of Archibald Beatty of Farnamullan (1758-1831) is the transcription of a tombstone which has apparently gone missing. We know from Crossle/Beatty/1/283 Clogher Will Books that James was Archibald's second son. His first son was Charles who died young. Here's what I've been told about his tombstone:
This "data provides the basis for the for beginning the birth estimates, since Charles is listed as the first born in the will.  Note: this tombstone no longer exists.  The church in Lisbellaw is removing all old markers and reusing the grave sites.  I have not been able to get any information on what process they are using and suspect that the old grave site information will be lost.

Church of Ireland Cemetery, Lisbellaw, Femanagh, Northern Ireland
This stone was erected by John Betty, in memory of his Father Archibald Betty who dept, this life Decbr. 3rd 1831, aged 73 years). Also Martha, wife of the said Archibald Betty, who depd. this life Nov. 23rd 1850 [?], aged 86 years. Also their son Charles Betty who depd. this life March 27th 1818, aged 13 [?] years."
[/b]
There was a note attached to this transcription querying whether Charles' death was at age 13 or 18 as the writing was very faint. All I'd need would be for him to have died in 1813 aged 18 and my James would be the perfect age to be his younger brother.
The question is, how can I find the tombstone and get someone to have a look at it? Surely the Church in Lisbellaw wouldn't actually destroy old tombstones. Can somebody help me to resolve this?

The church in Lisbellaw is removing all old markers and reusing the grave sites.

PURE RUBBISH!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 18 February 17 04:01 GMT (UK) »
This "data provides the basis for the for beginning the birth estimates, since Charles is listed as the first born in the will.

Note: this tombstone STILL exists. 

The church in Lisbellaw is NOT removing all old markers and reusing the grave sites.

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thanks Hallmark! We must have been misinformed! It did sound hard to believe. Many apologies to the Church at Lisbellaw! Does anybody here live near Lisbellaw who's good at deciphering old grave stones who could carefully read the gravestone in question for me? I'll pay! In particular, I need to know the age and death date for Charles Beatty, as a lot hangs on his dob. The transcription we have says "...Also their son Charles Betty who depd. this life March 27th 1818 aged 13 [?] years" if so, he was born 1804-5, and all of his siblings after that date. On the other hand if he died in 1813 aged 18 he was born 1794-5 which makes much more sense for an eldest child whose parents married in 1792-4. I feel like dashing over there to have a look myself. Unfortunately it's a long expensive dash :(
Also apologies that I'm slow to pick up these messages. I should check more often. I think I missed one above too.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 08:14 GMT (UK) »
No problem.... if you had posted 2 days earlier I could have checked it while there.

It's my photo but have no problem if you want to post it in restoration section, see if photo can be improved??

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Also apologies that I'm slow to pick up these messages. I should check more often. I think I missed one above too.

Are you not getting email notifications of replys to your posts?

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann, I'm certainly getting email messages about today's replies, which is great, but didn't get emails about Hallmarks posts dated the 18th.
Cheers