Author Topic: Payn family in Merton/Wimbledon  (Read 1615 times)

Offline larla8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Payn family in Merton/Wimbledon
« on: Friday 21 October 11 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for the ancestors to my great-great grandfather George James Payn (1825-1904). I have his parents: James Payn (1791-1828) and Mary (1794-1876). I think, without proof, that James parents are Robert and Jane Payn probably from Merton. If that is true James was probably born 22 May 1791. He died 2 Nov 1828. I would very much like to have some more facts around this.

Since I am living in Sweden I can't easily visit to the registry offices and such old data are not on the net yet. If anyone can help me I would be most greatful.

Sincerely:

Lars Larsson
Skövde, Sweden

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Payn family in Merton/Wimbledon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 October 11 11:27 BST (UK) »
This may or may not help:

An Anthony Payn of Merton, Surrey, farmer, left a will dated 21 Jul 1777. In it he names his sons Richard, Robert and Anthony, daughters Miriam Hutson and Mary Payn, and wife Mary

Proved 7 Aug 1777 Surrey Archdeaconry Court.

He was buried in Merton on 31 Jul 1777 as Mr Anthony Payne.

Brian

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Payn family in Merton/Wimbledon
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 October 11 11:55 BST (UK) »
Two other wills may help, both downloadable from National Archives at £3.50 each:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?CatID=6&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1

The will of John Payne of Merton, gentleman 1778.  There is/was and memorial inscription to him in Merton churchyard:

In memory of John PAYNE Esq of this parish, who died 1 Apr 1778 aged 46. Also Jane PAYNE his widow who died at Kentish Town 14 Nov 1783.

The will of Mary PAYNE of Merton 1808   (?widow of Anthony)

She was buried in Merton 7 May 1808 aged 84.

Brian