Author Topic: Pagets of Knockglass (Mayo) and Kinard (Sligo)  (Read 9222 times)

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
  • The whole is the sum of all our pasts
    • View Profile
Pagets of Knockglass (Mayo) and Kinard (Sligo)
« on: Thursday 20 October 11 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'd appreciate any help with my Paget relations of Knockglass, Crossmolina who were certainly C of I. My gg grandfather was James Paget of Kinard Lodge near Enniscrone who died there in 1872 aged 69. I have his death certificate. Who were his parents though? I believe Kinard was purchased in 1810 by a "James Paget of Knockglass, Crossmolina". Was that the father of our James (who'd have been aged only 7 in 1810!)? Was our James the brother or the cousin of his near contemporary Thomas Paget of Knockglass? I know that Thomas had a son who was later "Captain James Paget of Knockglass". I find many references on the web and in gazeteers etc. to both James and Thomas between 1825 and 1875, but the precise relationships are very difficult to tease out. I was hoping the local COI church records might help. I suppose it's hoping for too much for an 1803 baptism record though.
I'd even be happy to find someone else who's interested in this family.
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 11 08:38 BST (UK) »
http://www.goldenlangan.com/
I think this is great! However if anyone is at St. Mary's COI Church, Crossmolina and can let me know all the exact wording on the pinkish granite headstone for James Paget, Thomas Cecil and Jane Caroline Paget, I'd be very grateful. It's hard to read from the photo, but is well engraved and looks as though if you were there you could run your fingers over it to help pick out the words. If not for this project, I wouldn't have even known it was there. Thanks again.
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 11 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat  :)

I can (I am fairly sure) see that James was in the Connaught Rangers.

Looking at your other post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,225798.160.html you are already aware of him being Captain Paget and therefore have this information.

There is a marriage announcement for James Paget in 1857 to Jane Caroline Knox. His father named as Thomas.
Paget marriage

regards

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oishiidesu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re:Pagets of Knockglass (Mayo) and Kinard (Sligo)
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 11 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcella,
There are some Paget graves in St Mary's Church (C of I) in Crossmolina.  They are listed on the GoldenLangan.com web site at
http://goldenlangan.com/graves-sy.html .
Not sure if these are of your family, but good luck, David

Note from Moderator:
topics have been merged

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Pagets of Knockglass (Mayo) and Kinard (Sligo)
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 11 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks oishiidesu, Yes I saw that topic and posted there too. Great idea. However the two Paget headstones there are for the younger generation and don't help answer my question about the parents of our James Paget who died in 1872 aged 69.

topics merged

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 11 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood, I'm pretty sure that all three of those Pagets on the headstone and in the marriage announcement are from the generation later than the lot whose relationships have me mystified - Thomas P of Knockglass and his (younger) brother (or cousin?) James Paget, my gg grandfather, who died in 1872 aged 69. 

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pagets of Knockglass (Mayo) and Kinard (Sligo)
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 October 11 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood again for sorting out the topic. In the hope that someone else might be interested in the Pagets of Mayo and Sligo, here's the link to my family history website:

http://taggerty.wordpress.com/

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 October 11 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcella,
I do have the COI records for the early years (FHL # 897393)  so here are the Pagets :

YEAR   MONTH   NAME   FATHER   SURNAME   MOTHER   SURNAME   RELATIONSHIP   RESIDENCE   EVENT   
1802   16-May   Robt   Robt   Paget   Cath         Freeheen   Christening   897365
1817   CONFIRM   Henry      Paget               Confirmation from Killala Reg   897365
1817   CONFIRM   James      Paget               Confirmation from Killala Reg   897365
1821   10-Aug   Margt   Tho   Paget         wife of Tho, 23 y   Fahy,Kilfian Burials   897365
1821   16-Sep   Cath           Robt   Paget         wife of Robt,Esq 59 yFahy,Kilfian Burials   897365
Female Pagets:
1802   21-Sep   MARR   Tho   Reynolds   Br   Paget      Mullinmore,Fahy  MARR           897365
1815   12-Jan   MARR   John   Bourke   Eliz   Paget      Ballina,Fahy      MARR           897365

You will notice that the info is rather sparse, but I included everything that was on the film.
Diski

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Crossmolina Church Records
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 October 11 03:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Diski, I appreciate that - as you say, a bit sparse, but getting there. I think this family spent a bit of time in Dublin too, so might look into registers there.